Baltimore County, Maryland Facts
Baltimore County was founded on June 30, 1659 as an original county from unorganized territory. This county was named in honor of Cæcilius Calvert, 2nd Baron Baltimore, first proprietor of the Maryland colony.
The Baltimore County Seat is situated in Towson additionally, the county government website is www.baltimorecountymd.gov/
Areas next to Baltimore County are York County, Pennsylvania (north), Carroll County (west), Harford County (east), Anne Arundel County (south), Howard County (southwest), Baltimore City.
Cities and towns to be found in Baltimore County include has no incorporated municipalities.
Baltimore County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.Baltimore Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Baltimore Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Baltimore Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Baltimore County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Baltimore County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Maryland State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Baltimore County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 10085, Towson, MD 21204; (410) 256-4028
- Baltimore County Historical Society, 9811 Van Buren Lane, Cockeysville, MD 21030 - 5022, (410) 666-1878
- Catonsville Historical And Genealogical Section, P.O. Box 9311, Catonsville 21228
- Dundalk Patapsco Neck Historical Society, P.O. Box 9235, 4 North Center Place, Dundalk, MD 21222; (410) 284-2331
- Baltimore County, Maryland Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Baltimore County
- Baltimore County, Maryland Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Baltimore County
- USGenWeb Archives for Baltimore County (usgwarchives.net)
Government records of Allegany County are available in original, microfilm and digital formats from the Maryland State Archives
Baltimore County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically overlook the advantages of Baltimore County court, probate, and land documents as a source of genealogy and family history details. Buried away in Maryland courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the aspirations and frustrations of countless Maryland inhabitants.
The possibilities are very good that your particular ancestors have left a detailed record of at least some elements of their lives in the Baltimore County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not discussed in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other procedures that could have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to speak to the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details just before visiting or looking for information because of occasionally changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Many workers will guide individuals in finding the materials, but it is up to the particular person to complete the research.
The below information and facts shows whatever death, marriage, birth, property, probate, and court records are typically in Baltimore County. The dates pointed out below tend to be the first widely known records data for this county. Since 1851 Baltimore City and Baltimore County have been two completely separate enities, each with their own records.
- Baltimore County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 401 Bosley Avenue, Towson, MD 21204
- Baltimore County Circuit Court Clerk is responsible for recording documents related to property. Documents recorded consist of, but are not limited to, deeds, mortgages, restrictions, notaries, public and elected county officers. Other documents, such as Military Service Discharges, foreign birth certificates, as well as obscure documents like cattle brands, are also recorded here.
- Phone: 410-887-2601
- Marriage Records: 1661
- Land Records: 1661
- Baltimore County Register of Wills/ Orphan's Court Clerk responsibilities include supervising Clerk's office personnel in the civil, criminal, courtroom clerks, business license, marriage license, land records, and juvenile units.
- Phone: (410) 887-6680, (410) 887-6681 or (888) 642-5387
- Probate Records: 1666
- Baltimore County Government Records are available from the Maryland State Archives
- Maryland Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Maryland for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Baltimore County Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources relating to Baltimore County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is simply a listing that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to provide your own favorite Baltimore County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Baltimore Co. MD Books, Newspapers & Publications
Baltimore Co. MD Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Baltimore Co. MD Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Baltimore Co. MD Census Records
Baltimore Co. MD Cemeteries & Graveyards
Baltimore Co. MD Church & Bible Records
Baltimore Co. MD Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Baltimore Co. MD General and History Websites
Baltimore Co. MD Immigration & Naturalization
Baltimore Co. MD Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Baltimore Co. MD Military Records