St. Tammany Parish, Louisiana Genealogy
St. Tammany Parish, Louisiana ancestry and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you locate your own Louisiana ancestors. Get going by building a Free Family Tree.
St. Tammany Parish was created on October 27, 1810 from Feliciana County and Spanish West Florida Territory. The parish was named in honor of Legendary Indian Chief Tamanend.
The St. Tammany Parish Seat can be found in Covington and the parish government website is www.stpgov.org/
Regions bordering St. Tammany Parish include Washington Parish (north), Pearl River County, MS (northeast), Hancock County, MS (east), Orleans Parish (south and southeast), Jefferson Parish (southwest), Tangipahoa Parish (west).
Cities and towns found in St. Tammany Parish are made up of Covington, Mandeville, Slidell, Abita Springs, Madisonville, Pearl River, Folsom, Sun.
St. Tammany Parish consists of Federal Census Schedules to help in exploring your family tree. Federal government Population Schedules can be found for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. St. Tammany Co. Slave Schedules can be found for 1850 & 1860. St. Tammany Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. St. Tammany Co. Industry and Agriculture can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. St. Tammany Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. You can get free online and printable census forms that can help with your research.
St. Tammany Parish Societies and Family History Resources
A list of St. Tammany Parish Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
St. Tammany Parish Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically forget the significance of St. Tammany Parish court, probate, and land files as a source of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Louisiana courthouses and archives just about everywhere are the ambitions and worries of countless Louisiana people.
The chances are excellent that your ancestors and forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least some facets of their lives in the St. Tammany Parish court records. Even if your forefathers is not discussed in a Court case, consider all of the other methods which often can have lead to him or her showing up in court records.
I highly recommend you speak to the clerk's dept to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics just before visiting or inquiring about information because of in some cases changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of employees will aid individuals in obtaining the resources, but it is up to the man or women to do the researching.
The below specifics denotes exactly what birth, death, marriage, property, probate, and courtroom records are usually in St. Tammany Parish. The dates indicated below are considered the first known documents with this parish.
- St. Tammany Parish Clerk of Court performs the functions of more than one office. As the Recorder, the office of the Clerk of Court receives, files, records and indexes all mortgages, conveyances and all other instruments recorded in the Public Records for the Parish. The Clerk’s Office receives and files all pleadings, such as petitions, answers, motions and other filings in Civil and Probate matters, as well as indictments, bills of information and other filings in Criminal matters. Another function of the Clerk’s Office is the issuance of Marriage Licenses and recording their returns after the marriages are performed.
- Address: 701 N. Columbia Street, Covington, LA 70433
- Phone: (985) 809-8700
- Marriage Records: 1812
- Land Records: 1810
- Probate Records: 1812
- Court Records: 1812
- Records prior to 1810: For genealogy information prior to 1810, please visit the Secretary of State Website at: Louisiana State Archives
- Louisiana Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Louisiana for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
St. Tammany Parish Links
The following are web links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relevant to St. Tammany Parish. Many of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is merely a listing which has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to furnish your own preferred St. Tammany Parish genealogy or family history related sites.
St. Tammany Parish LA Books, Newspapers & Publications
St. Tammany Parish LA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
St. Tammany Parish LA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
St. Tammany Parish LA Census Records
St. Tammany Parish LA Cemeteries & Graveyards
St. Tammany Parish LA Church & Bible Records
St. Tammany Parish LA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
St. Tammany Parish LA General and History Websites
St. Tammany Parish LA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
St. Tammany Parish LA Military Records
- Louisiana Military Records (fold3.com) will provide easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Louisiana both males and females who served. Perfect for St. Tammany Parish genealogists, researchers, historians and much more.