Caddo Parish, Louisiana Genealogy
Caddo Parish, Louisiana ancestry and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you locate your own Louisiana ancestors. Get going by building a Free Family Tree.
Caddo Parish was created on January 18, 1838 from Natchitoches Parish. The parish was named for the Caddo Native American people .
The Caddo Parish Seat can be found in Shreveport and the parish government website is www.caddo.org/
Regions bordering Caddo Parish include Miller County, AR (north), Lafayette County, AR (northeast), Bossier Parish (east), Red River Parish (southeast), De Soto Parish (south), Panola County, TX (southwest), Harrison County, TX (west), Marion County, TX (west), Cass County, TX (northwest).
Cities and towns found in Caddo Parish are made up of Shreveport, Blanchard, Greenwood, Oil City, Vivian, Belcher, Dixie, Gilliam, Hosston, Ida, Mooringsport, Rodessa.
Caddo Parish consists of Federal Census Schedules to help in exploring your family tree. Federal government Population Schedules can be found for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Caddo Co. Slave Schedules can be found for 1850 & 1860. Caddo Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Caddo Co. Industry and Agriculture can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Caddo Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. You can get free online and printable census forms that can help with your research.
Caddo Parish Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Caddo Parish Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Louisiana State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Ark-La-Tex Genealogical Association, P.O. Box 4463, Shreveport, Louisiana 71134-0463
- Friends Of Genealogy, P.O. Box 17835, Shreveport, LA 71138-0835
- North Louisiana Historical Association, P.O. Box 6701, Shreveport 71106-6701
- Caddo Parish, Louisiana Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Caddo Parish
- Caddo Parish, Louisiana Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Caddo Parish
- USGenWeb Archives for Caddo Parish (usgwarchives.net)
Caddo Parish Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically forget the significance of Caddo Parish court, probate, and land files as a source of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Louisiana courthouses and archives just about everywhere are the ambitions and worries of countless Louisiana people.
The chances are excellent that your ancestors and forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least some facets of their lives in the Caddo Parish court records. Even if your forefathers is not discussed in a Court case, consider all of the other methods which often can have lead to him or her showing up in court records.
I highly recommend you speak to the clerk's dept to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics just before visiting or inquiring about information because of in some cases changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of employees will aid individuals in obtaining the resources, but it is up to the man or women to do the researching.
The below specifics denotes exactly what birth, death, marriage, property, probate, and courtroom records are usually in Caddo Parish. The dates indicated below are considered the first known documents with this parish.
- Caddo Parish Clerk of Court performs the functions of more than one office. As the Recorder, the office of the Clerk of Court receives, files, records and indexes all mortgages, conveyances and all other instruments recorded in the Public Records for the Parish. The Clerk’s Office receives and files all pleadings, such as petitions, answers, motions and other filings in Civil and Probate matters, as well as indictments, bills of information and other filings in Criminal matters. Another function of the Clerk’s Office is the issuance of Marriage Licenses and recording their returns after the marriages are performed.
- Address: 501 Texas Street, Room 103, Shreveport, LA 71101
- Phone: (318) 226-6793
- Marriage Records: 1835
- Land Records: 1835
- Probate Records: 1835
- Court Records: 1835
- Louisiana Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Louisiana for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Caddo Parish Links
The following are web links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relevant to Caddo Parish. Many of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is merely a listing which has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to furnish your own preferred Caddo Parish genealogy or family history related sites.
Caddo Parish LA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Caddo Parish LA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Caddo Parish LA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Caddo Parish LA Census Records
Caddo Parish LA Cemeteries & Graveyards
Caddo Parish LA Church & Bible Records
Caddo Parish LA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Caddo Parish LA General and History Websites
Caddo Parish LA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Caddo Parish LA Military Records
- Louisiana Military Records (fold3.com) will provide easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Louisiana both males and females who served. Perfect for Caddo Parish genealogists, researchers, historians and much more.