Woodford County, Kentucky Facts
Woodford County, Kentucky family history and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to assist you to you find your personal Woodford Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Woodford County was established on November 12, 1788 from Fayette County. Currently the county was named in honor of William Woodford (1734–1780), Revolutionary War general .
Currently the Woodford County Seat is situated in Versailles additionally, the county government website is woodfordcounty.ky.gov
Locations adjacent to Woodford County happen to be Franklin County (northwest), Scott County (northeast), Fayette County (east), Jessamine County (southeast), Mercer County (southwest), Anderson County (west).
Cities and towns to be found in Woodford County comprise of Midway, Versailles, Millville, Nonesuch, Mortonsville, Troy.
Woodford County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1790, 1800 (destroyed), 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Woodford Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Woodford Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Woodford Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Woodford Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Woodford County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Woodford County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Woodford County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the advantages of Woodford County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of the many Kentucky citizens.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Woodford County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Please make sure to speak to the clerk's dept to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or inquiring about information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of staff will help people in locating the materials, however it is up to the individual to do the researching.
The following facts indicates what death, marriage, birth, land, probate, and legal records are located in Woodford county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for each county. A fire destroyed many records on 11 Oct 1965.
- Woodfordd County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: 103 South Main Street, Versailles, KY, 40383
- Phone: (859) 873-3421
- Marriage Records: 1789
- Land Records: 1789
- Probate Records: 1789
- Woodford County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Woodford County Courthouse Annex, 130 Court St., Versailles, KY 40383
- Phone: (859) 873-3711
- Court Records: 1789
- Woodford County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Woodford County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information on Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
Woodford County Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Woodford County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Woodford County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Woodford Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Woodford Co. KY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Woodford Co. KY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Woodford Co. KY Census Records
Woodford Co. KY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Woodford Co. KY Church & Bible Records
Woodford Co. KY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Woodford Co. KY General and History Websites
Woodford Co. KY Immigration & Naturalization
Woodford Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Woodford Co. KY Military Records
- Kentucky Military Records (Fold3.com) delivers access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Pennsylvania individuals who served. Perfect for Woodford County genealogists, researchers, historians and a lot more.