Wolfe County, Kentucky Facts
Wolfe County, Kentucky family history and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to assist you to you find your personal Wolfe Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Wolfe County was established on March 5, 1860 from Owsley County, Breathitt County, Powell County and Morgan County. Currently the county was named in honor of Nathaniel Wolfe (1808–1865), member of the Kentucky General Assembly.
Currently the Wolfe County Seat is situated in Campton additionally, the county government website is unknown
Locations adjacent to Wolfe County happen to be Menifee County (north), Morgan County (northeast), Magoffin County (east), Breathitt County (southeast), Lee County (southwest), Powell County (northwest).
Cities and towns to be found in Wolfe County comprise of Bethany, Campton, Hazel Green, Lee City, Pine Ridge, Trent, Bear Pin, Mary Flatt road.
Wolfe County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Wolfe Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Wolfe Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Wolfe Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Wolfe Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Wolfe County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Wolfe County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Wolfe County Museum & Historical Society, P.O. Box 696, Campton, KY 41301-0696
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Wolfe County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Wolfe County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Wolfe County
- Wolfe County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Wolfe County
- KYWOLFE. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical and historical interest in Wolfe County, Kentucky. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- EASTERNKENTUCKY. A mailing list for all researchers who's ancestors settled in or traveled through the state of Kentucky. Some of the counties covered are Bell, Boyd, Breathitt, Carter, Clay, Elliot, Estill, Floyd, Greenup, Harlan, Jackson, Johnson, Knott, Knox, Laurel, Lawrence, Lee, Leslie, Letcher, Lewis, Magoffin, Morgan, Owsley, Perry, Pike, Powell, Rowan, Whitley, Wolfe, and adjacent counties that represent the East Kentucky Coalfields. Additional information can be found on the East Kentucky Genealogy website. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode)
Wolfe County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the advantages of Wolfe County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of the many Kentucky citizens.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Wolfe County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Please make sure to speak to the clerk's dept to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or inquiring about information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of staff will help people in locating the materials, however it is up to the individual to do the researching.
The following facts indicates what death, marriage, birth, land, probate, and legal records are located in Wolfe county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for each county. Records were lost in courthouse fires in 1886 and 1913.
- Wolfed County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: 10 Court St., Campton, KY, 41301
- Phone: (606) 668-3492
- Marriage Records: 1861
- Land Records: 1860
- Probate Records: 1885
- Wolfe County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Wolfe County Courthouse, 10 Court St., P.O. Box 296, Campton, KY 41301-0296
- Phone: (606) 668-3736
- Court Records: 1818
- Wolfe County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Wolfe County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information on Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
Wolfe County Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Wolfe County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Wolfe County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Wolfe Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Wolfe Co. KY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Wolfe Co. KY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Wolfe Co. KY Census Records
Wolfe Co. KY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Wolfe Co. KY Church & Bible Records
Wolfe Co. KY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Wolfe Co. KY General and History Websites
Wolfe Co. KY Immigration & Naturalization
Wolfe Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Wolfe Co. KY Military Records
- Kentucky Military Records (Fold3.com) delivers access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Pennsylvania individuals who served. Perfect for Wolfe County genealogists, researchers, historians and a lot more.