Whitley County, Kentucky Facts
Whitley County, Kentucky family history and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to assist you to you find your personal Whitley Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Whitley County was established on January 17, 1818 from Knox County. Currently the county was named in honor of William Whitley (1749–1813), Kentucky pioneer .
Currently the Whitley County Seat is situated in Williamsburg additionally, the county government website is www.whitleycountyfiscalcourt.com
Locations adjacent to Whitley County happen to be Laurel County (north), Knox County (northeast), Bell County (east), Claiborne County, Tennessee (southeast), Campbell County, Tennessee (south), McCreary County (west).
Cities and towns to be found in Whitley County comprise of Corbin - (Partly in Knox County), Williamsburg, Gatliff, Goldbug, Julip, Pleasant View, Rockholds, Saxton, Siler, Wofford, Woodbine.
Whitley County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Whitley Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Whitley Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Whitley Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Whitley Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Whitley County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Whitley County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Whitley County Historical & Genealogical Society, Old Williamsburg Depot, 529 Main Street, Williamsburg, KY; Call 606-549-7089
- Whitley County Historical Genealogy Society/Museum, P.O. Box 536, Williamsburg, Ky. 40769; phone no. 606-549-7089
- Corbin Genealogical Society,
P.O. Box 353,
Corbin KY 40701;
Covering Knox, Laurel & Whitley counties
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Whitley County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Whitley County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Whitley County
- Whitley County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Whitley County
- KYWHITLE. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Whitley County, Kentucky. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- CUMBERLAND-RIVER. This mailing list is for anyone with a genealogical or historical interest in the Cumberland River region of Southeast Kentucky. This includes the counties of Whitley, Wayne, Pulaski, Knox, and McCreary. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- EASTERNKENTUCKY. A mailing list for all researchers who's ancestors settled in or traveled through the state of Kentucky. Some of the counties covered are Bell, Boyd, Breathitt, Carter, Clay, Elliot, Estill, Floyd, Greenup, Harlan, Jackson, Johnson, Knott, Knox, Laurel, Lawrence, Lee, Leslie, Letcher, Lewis, Magoffin, Morgan, Owsley, Perry, Pike, Powell, Rowan, Whitley, Wolfe, and adjacent counties that represent the East Kentucky Coalfields. Additional information can be found on the East Kentucky Genealogy website. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode)
Whitley County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the advantages of Whitley County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of the many Kentucky citizens.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Whitley County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Please make sure to speak to the clerk's dept to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or inquiring about information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of staff will help people in locating the materials, however it is up to the individual to do the researching.
The following facts indicates what death, marriage, birth, land, probate, and legal records are located in Whitley county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for each county. Some records were lost in a courthouse disaster in 1930.
- Whitleyd County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: Main St., Williamsburg, KY, 40769
- Phone: (606) 549-6002
- Marriage Records: 1818
- Land Records: 1818
- Probate Records: 1818
- Whitley County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Whitley County Judicial Center, 100 Main St., P.O. Box 329, Williamsburg, KY 40769-0329
- Phone: (606) 549-2973 ; (606) 549-5162
- Court Records: 1818
- Whitley County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Whitley County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information on Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
Whitley County Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Whitley County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Whitley County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Whitley Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Whitley Co. KY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Whitley Co. KY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Whitley Co. KY Census Records
Whitley Co. KY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Whitley Co. KY Church & Bible Records
Whitley Co. KY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Whitley Co. KY General and History Websites
Whitley Co. KY Immigration & Naturalization
Whitley Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Whitley Co. KY Military Records
- Kentucky Military Records (Fold3.com) delivers access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Pennsylvania individuals who served. Perfect for Whitley County genealogists, researchers, historians and a lot more.