Webster County, Kentucky Facts
Webster County, Kentucky family history and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to assist you to you find your personal Webster Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Webster County was established on July 1, 1860 from Hopkins County, Union County and Henderson County. Currently the county was named in honor of Daniel Webster, U.S. Senator from Massachusetts and United States Secretary of State (1841–1843; 1850–1852) .
Currently the Webster County Seat is situated in Dixon additionally, the county government website is www.webstercountyky.com
Locations adjacent to Webster County happen to be Henderson County (north), McLean County (northeast), Hopkins County (south & east), Caldwell County (south), Crittenden County (southwest), Union County (northwest).
Cities and towns to be found in Webster County comprise of Clay, Dixon, Providence, Sebree, Slaughters, Wheatcroft.
Webster County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Webster Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1860. Webster Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Webster Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Webster Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Webster County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Webster County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Webster County Historical & Genealogical Society,
P.O. Box 215,
Dixon KY 42409-0215
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Webster County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Webster County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Webster County
- Webster County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Webster County
- KYWEBSTE. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Webster County, Kentucky. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- KYWEST. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical or historical interest in the Western Kentucky counties of Ballard, Caldwell, Calloway, Carlisle, Christian, Crittenden, Fulton, Graves, Henderson, Hickman, Hopkins, Livingston, Lyon, McCracken, Marshall, Trigg, Union, and Webster. Postings must have a connection to one of these counties. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
Webster County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the advantages of Webster County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of the many Kentucky citizens.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Webster County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Please make sure to speak to the clerk's dept to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or inquiring about information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of staff will help people in locating the materials, however it is up to the individual to do the researching.
The following facts indicates what death, marriage, birth, land, probate, and legal records are located in Webster County. The dates stated below tend to be the first widely known records in this county.
- Webster County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: Main St., Dixon, KY, 42409
- Phone: (270) 639-7006
- Marriage Records: 1860
- Land Records: 1860
- Probate Records: 1860
- Webster County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Webster County Judicial Center, 35 U.S. Highway 41A S., P.O. Box 290, Dixon, KY 42409-0290
- Phone: (270) 639-9160
- Court Records: 1860
- Webster County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Webster County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information on Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
Webster County Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Webster County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Webster County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Webster Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Webster Co. KY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Webster Co. KY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Webster Co. KY Census Records
Webster Co. KY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Webster Co. KY Church & Bible Records
Webster Co. KY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Webster Co. KY General and History Websites
Webster Co. KY Immigration & Naturalization
Webster Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Webster Co. KY Military Records
- Kentucky Military Records (Fold3.com) delivers access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Pennsylvania individuals who served. Perfect for Webster County genealogists, researchers, historians and a lot more.