Simpson County, Kentucky Facts
Simpson County, Kentucky family history and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to assist you to you find your personal Simpson Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Simpson County was established on January 28, 1819 from Allen County, Logan County and Warren County. Currently the county was named in honor of John Simpson, military captain killed at the Battle of Frenchtown .
Currently the Simpson County Seat is situated in Franklin additionally, the county government website is www.simpsoncounty.us
Locations adjacent to Simpson County happen to be Warren County (north), Allen County (east), Sumner County, Tennessee (southeast), Robertson County, Tennessee (southwest), Logan County (west).
Cities and towns to be found in Simpson County comprise of Franklin, Gold City, Middleton, Prices Mill, Providence, Salmons, Rapids.
Simpson County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Simpson Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Simpson Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Simpson Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Simpson Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Simpson County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Simpson County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Simpson County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the advantages of Simpson County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of the many Kentucky citizens.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Simpson County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Please make sure to speak to the clerk's dept to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or inquiring about information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of staff will help people in locating the materials, however it is up to the individual to do the researching.
The following facts indicates what death, marriage, birth, land, probate, and legal records are located in Simpson county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for each county. The Simpson County courthouse was destroyed by fire in May 1882. All records in the County Clerk's office were destroyed. A few "bundles" and all of the Order Books from the Circuit Clerk's office were saved. Tax records from 1819 to 1890 are available on microfilm.
- Simpsond County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: Main St., Franklin, KY, 42134
- Phone: (270) 586-8161
- Marriage Records: 1852
- Land Records: 1819
- Probate Records: 1882
- Simpson County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Simpson County Justice Center, 101 N. Court St., Franklin, KY 42135-0261
- Phone: (270) 586-4241
- Court Records: 1816
- Simpson County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Simpson County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information on Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
Simpson County Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Simpson County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Simpson County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Simpson Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Simpson Co. KY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Simpson Co. KY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Simpson Co. KY Census Records
Simpson Co. KY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Simpson Co. KY Church & Bible Records
Simpson Co. KY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Simpson Co. KY General and History Websites
Simpson Co. KY Immigration & Naturalization
Simpson Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Simpson Co. KY Military Records
- Kentucky Military Records (Fold3.com) delivers access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Pennsylvania individuals who served. Perfect for Simpson County genealogists, researchers, historians and a lot more.