Rowan County, Kentucky Facts
Rowan County, Kentucky family history and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to assist you to you find your personal Rowan Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Rowan County was established on May 1, 1856 from Fleming County and Morgan County. Currently the county was named in honor of John Rowan, Congressman from Kentucky (1809–1811; 1825–1831) .
Currently the Rowan County Seat is situated in Morehead additionally, the county government website is www.moreheadrowan.org
Locations adjacent to Rowan County happen to be Lewis County (north), Carter County (northeast), Elliott County (east), Morgan County (south), Menifee County (southwest), Bath County (west), Fleming County (northwest).
Cities and towns to be found in Rowan County comprise of Lakeview Heights, Morehead, Clearfield, Farmers, Elliotville, Haldeman, Sharkey.
Rowan County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Rowan Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1860. Rowan Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Rowan Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Rowan Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Rowan County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Rowan County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Rowan County Historical Society, P.O. Box 60, Morehead KY 40351
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Rowan County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Rowan County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Rowan County
- Rowan County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Rowan County
- KYROWAN. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Rowan County, Kentucky. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- EASTERNKENTUCKY. A mailing list for all researchers who's ancestors settled in or traveled through the state of Kentucky. Some of the counties covered are Bell, Boyd, Breathitt, Carter, Clay, Elliot, Estill, Floyd, Greenup, Harlan, Jackson, Johnson, Knott, Knox, Laurel, Lawrence, Lee, Leslie, Letcher, Lewis, Magoffin, Morgan, Owsley, Perry, Pike, Powell, Rowan, Whitley, Wolfe, and adjacent counties that represent the East Kentucky Coalfields. Additional information can be found on the East Kentucky Genealogy website. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
Rowan County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the advantages of Rowan County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of the many Kentucky citizens.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Rowan County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Please make sure to speak to the clerk's dept to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or inquiring about information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of staff will help people in locating the materials, however it is up to the individual to do the researching.
The following facts indicates what death, marriage, birth, land, probate, and legal records are located in Rowan county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for each county. Courthouse fires on 21 Mar 1864 and in the 1890s destroyed many records.
- Rowand County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: 627 East Main Street, Morehead, KY, 40351
- Phone: (606) 784-5212
- Marriage Records: 1880
- Land Records: 1866
- Probate Records: 1853
- Rowan County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Rowan County Judicial Center, 700 W. Main St., Morehead, KY 40351
- Phone: (606) 783-8505
- Court Records: 1880
- Rowan County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Rowan County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information on Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
Rowan County Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Rowan County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Rowan County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Rowan Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Rowan Co. KY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Rowan Co. KY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Rowan Co. KY Census Records
Rowan Co. KY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Rowan Co. KY Church & Bible Records
Rowan Co. KY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Rowan Co. KY General and History Websites
Rowan Co. KY Immigration & Naturalization
Rowan Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Rowan Co. KY Military Records
- Kentucky Military Records (Fold3.com) delivers access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Pennsylvania individuals who served. Perfect for Rowan County genealogists, researchers, historians and a lot more.