Rockcastle County, Kentucky Facts
Rockcastle County, Kentucky family history and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to assist you to you find your personal Rockcastle Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Rockcastle County was established on January 8, 1810 from Pulaski County, Lincoln County, Knox County and Madison County. Currently the county was named for the Rockcastle River, the boundary between Rockcastle and Laurel County.
Currently the Rockcastle County Seat is situated in Mount Vernon additionally, the county government website is www.rockcastlecountyky.com
Locations adjacent to Rockcastle County happen to be Garrard County (northwest), Madison County (northeast), Jackson County (east), Laurel County (southeast), Pulaski County (southwest), Lincoln County (west).
Cities and towns to be found in Rockcastle County comprise of Brodhead, Livingston, Mount Vernon.
Rockcastle County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Rockcastle Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Rockcastle Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Rockcastle Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Rockcastle Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Rockcastle County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Rockcastle County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Rockcastle County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the advantages of Rockcastle County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of the many Kentucky citizens.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Rockcastle County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Please make sure to speak to the clerk's dept to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or inquiring about information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of staff will help people in locating the materials, however it is up to the individual to do the researching.
The following facts indicates what death, marriage, birth, land, probate, and legal records are located in Rockcastle county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for each county. A fire destroyed most early records in 1871.
- Rockcastled County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: 205 East Main St., Box 6, Mt. Vernon, KY, 40456
- Phone: (606) 256-4302
- Marriage Records: 1852
- Land Records: 1865
- Probate Records: 1855
- Rockcastle County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Rockcastle County Courthouse Annex, 205 E. Main St., Room 102, Mount Vernon, KY 40456
- Phone: (606) 256-2581
- Court Records: 1873
- Rockcastle County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Rockcastle County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information on Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
Rockcastle County Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Rockcastle County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Rockcastle County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Rockcastle Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Rockcastle Co. KY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Rockcastle Co. KY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Rockcastle Co. KY Census Records
Rockcastle Co. KY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Rockcastle Co. KY Church & Bible Records
Rockcastle Co. KY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Rockcastle Co. KY General and History Websites
Rockcastle Co. KY Immigration & Naturalization
Rockcastle Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Rockcastle Co. KY Military Records
- Kentucky Military Records (Fold3.com) delivers access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Pennsylvania individuals who served. Perfect for Rockcastle County genealogists, researchers, historians and a lot more.