Perry County, Kentucky Facts
Perry County, Kentucky family history and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to assist you to you find your personal Perry Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Perry County was established on November 2, 1820 from Clay County and Floyd County. Currently the county was named in honor of Oliver Hazard Perry (1785–1819), Admiral in the War of 1812 .
Currently the Perry County Seat is situated in Hazard additionally, the county government website is www.perrycounty.ky.gov
Locations adjacent to Perry County happen to be Breathitt County (north), Knott County (northeast), Letcher County (southeast), Harlan County (south), Leslie County (west), Clay County (northwest), Owsley County (northwest).
Cities and towns to be found in Perry County comprise of Buckhorn, Cornettsville, Hazard, Vicco, Saul, Ary, Viper.
Perry County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Perry Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Perry Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Perry Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Perry Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Perry County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Perry County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Perry County Genealogical and Historical Society, Inc. ( Disbanded about 2000. All their records will now be found at the Perry Co. Public Library.)
- Perry County Public Library, 289 Black Gold Blvd, HAZARD, KY 41701; Phone: 606 - 436 - 2475
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Perry County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Perry County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Perry County
- Perry County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Perry County
- KYPERRY. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Perry County, Kentucky. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- EASTERNKENTUCKY. A mailing list for all researchers who's ancestors settled in or traveled through the state of Kentucky. Some of the counties covered are Bell, Boyd, Breathitt, Carter, Clay, Elliot, Estill, Floyd, Greenup, Harlan, Jackson, Johnson, Knott, Knox, Laurel, Lawrence, Lee, Leslie, Letcher, Lewis, Magoffin, Morgan, Owsley, Perry, Pike, Powell, Rowan, Whitley, Wolfe, and adjacent counties that represent the East Kentucky Coalfields. Additional information can be found on the East Kentucky Genealogy website. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- KENTUCKIANA. A mailing list for genealogy research and information exchange in the Indiana counties of Clark, Crawford, Dubois, Floyd, Gibson, Harrison, Orange, Perry, Pike, Posey, Scott, Spencer, Warrick and Washington, and the Kentucky counties of Breckinridge, Bullitt, Carroll, Hardin, Jefferson, Meade, Nelson, Oldham, Shelby, Spencer and Trimble. This is a highly research structured list, chatroom atmosphere is discouraged. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- SE-KENTUCKY. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in the Kentucky counties that border Tennessee, West Virginia and Virginia, and surrounding south eastern Kentucky counties (i.e., Whitley, Knox, Bell, Harlan, Clay, Leslie, Perry, Letcher, Knott, Breathitt, Pike, Floyd, Martin, Johnson, Morgan, Lawrence). To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- southeasternkentuckyroots. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Perry County, Kentucky, cemeteries and southeastern Kentucky genealogy (e.g., Perry, Knott, Clay, and Clark Counties). You can subscribe from http://groups.yahoo.com/group/southeasternkentuckyroots/ or by sending the following to southeasternkentuckyroots-subscribe@yahoogroup s.com: subscribe
Perry County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the advantages of Perry County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of the many Kentucky citizens.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Perry County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Please make sure to speak to the clerk's dept to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or inquiring about information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of staff will help people in locating the materials, however it is up to the individual to do the researching.
The following facts indicates what death, marriage, birth, land, probate, and legal records are located in Perry county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for each county. Some records were lost in courthouse disaster in 1885 and in 1911.
- Perryd County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: Main St., Hazard, KY, 41702
- Phone: (606) 436-4614
- Marriage Records: 1821
- Land Records: 1821
- Probate Records: 1901
- Perry County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Perry County Hall of Justice, 545 Main St., P.O. Box 7433, Hazard, KY 41702-7433
- Phone: (606) 435-6000
- Court Records: 1831
- Perry County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Perry County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information on Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
Perry County Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Perry County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Perry County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Perry Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Perry Co. KY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Perry Co. KY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Perry Co. KY Census Records
Perry Co. KY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Perry Co. KY Church & Bible Records
Perry Co. KY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Perry Co. KY General and History Websites
Perry Co. KY Immigration & Naturalization
Perry Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Perry Co. KY Military Records
- Kentucky Military Records (Fold3.com) delivers access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Pennsylvania individuals who served. Perfect for Perry County genealogists, researchers, historians and a lot more.