Owen County, Kentucky Facts
Owen County, Kentucky family history and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to assist you to you find your personal Owen Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Owen County was established on February 6, 1819 from Scott County, Franklin County, Gallatin County and Pendleton County. Currently the county was named in honor of Abraham Owen (1769–1811), killed at the Battle of Tippecanoe.
Currently the Owen County Seat is situated in Owenton additionally, the county government website is www.owencounty.ky.gov
Locations adjacent to Owen County happen to be Carroll County (northwest), Gallatin County (northeast), Grant County (east), Scott County (southeast), Franklin County (southwest), Henry County (west).
Cities and towns to be found in Owen County comprise of Gratz, Monterey, Owenton.
Owen County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Owen Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Owen Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Owen Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Owen Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Owen County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Owen County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Owen County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the advantages of Owen County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of the many Kentucky citizens.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Owen County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Please make sure to speak to the clerk's dept to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or inquiring about information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of staff will help people in locating the materials, however it is up to the individual to do the researching.
The following facts indicates what death, marriage, birth, land, probate, and legal records are located in Owen County. The dates stated below tend to be the first widely known records in this county.
- Owen County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: 135 West Bryan Street, Owenton, KY, 40359
- Phone: (502) 484-2213
- Marriage Records: 1819
- Land Records: 1819
- Probate Records: 1819
- Owen County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Owen County Courthouse, 100 N. Thomas St., P.O. Box 473, Owenton, KY 40359-0473
- Phone: (502) 484-2232
- Court Records: 1819
- Owen County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Owen County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information on Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
Owen County Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Owen County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Owen County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Owen Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Owen Co. KY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Owen Co. KY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Owen Co. KY Census Records
Owen Co. KY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Owen Co. KY Church & Bible Records
Owen Co. KY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Owen Co. KY General and History Websites
Owen Co. KY Immigration & Naturalization
Owen Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Owen Co. KY Military Records
- Kentucky Military Records (Fold3.com) delivers access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Pennsylvania individuals who served. Perfect for Owen County genealogists, researchers, historians and a lot more.