Ohio County, Kentucky Facts
Ohio County, Kentucky family history and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to assist you to you find your personal Ohio Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Ohio County was established on December 17, 1798 from Hardin County. Currently the county was named for the Ohio River, which formed the county's northern border until the creation of Daviess and Hancock counties .
Currently the Ohio County Seat is situated in Hartford additionally, the county government website is www.ohiocounty.ky.gov
Locations adjacent to Ohio County happen to be Hancock County (north), Breckinridge County (northeast), Grayson County (east), Butler County (southeast), Muhlenberg County (southwest), McLean County (west), Daviess County (northwest).
Cities and towns to be found in Ohio County comprise of Baizetown, Beaver Dam, Centertown, Cool Springs, Cromwell, Dundee, Echols, Fordsville, Hartford, Magan, McHenry, Pleasant Ridge, Prentiss, Rockport, Rosine.
Ohio County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1800 (destroyed), 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Ohio Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Ohio Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Ohio Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Ohio Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Ohio County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Ohio County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Ohio County Genealogical Society, 317 N. Main, Beaver Dam KY 42320
- Ohio County Historical Society, 415 Mulberry St, Hartford 42347-1734
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Ohio County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Ohio County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Ohio County
- Ohio County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Ohio County
- KYOHIO. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Ohio County, Kentucky. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- WEST-CENTRAL-KY. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in West-Central Kentucky, including the counties of Breckinridge, Butler, Daviess, Edmonson, Grayson, Hancock, Hardin, Hart, LaRue, McLean, Meade, and Ohio, which were all derived in large part from Old Hardin County as it was created in 1792. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
Ohio County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the advantages of Ohio County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of the many Kentucky citizens.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Ohio County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Please make sure to speak to the clerk's dept to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or inquiring about information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of staff will help people in locating the materials, however it is up to the individual to do the researching.
The following facts indicates what death, marriage, birth, land, probate, and legal records are located in Ohio county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for each county. The courthouse burned on 20 Dec 1864.
- Ohiod County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: 301 South Main Street, Hartford, KY, 42347
- Phone: (270) 298-4422
- Marriage Records: 1799
- Land Records: 1798
- Probate Records: 1799
- Ohio County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Ohio County Community Center, 130 E. Washington, St., P.O. Box 67, Hartford, KY 42347-0067
- Phone: (270) 298-3671
- Court Records: 1799
- Ohio County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Ohio County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information on Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
Ohio County Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Ohio County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Ohio County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Ohio Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Ohio Co. KY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Ohio Co. KY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Ohio Co. KY Census Records
Ohio Co. KY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Ohio Co. KY Church & Bible Records
Ohio Co. KY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Ohio Co. KY General and History Websites
Ohio Co. KY Immigration & Naturalization
Ohio Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Ohio Co. KY Military Records