McLean County, Kentucky Facts
McLean County, Kentucky family history and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to assist you to you find your personal McLean Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by putting together a Free Family Tree.
McLean County was established on January 28, 1854 from Muhlenberg County, Daviess County and Ohio County. Currently the county was named in honor of Alney McLean (1815–1817; 1819–1821), United States Representative from Kentucky .
Currently the McLean County Seat is situated in Calhoun additionally, the county government website is www.mcleancounty.ky.gov
Locations adjacent to McLean County happen to be Henderson County (northwest), Daviess County (northeast), Ohio County (east), Muhlenberg County (south), Hopkins County (southwest), Webster County (west).
Cities and towns to be found in McLean County comprise of Calhoun, Livermore, Sacramento, Island, Beech Grove, Rumsey, Comer, Congleton, Wrightsburg, Elba, Poverty, Cleopatra, Lemon, Wyman, Pack, Semiway, Poplar Grove, Guffie, Buel, Nuckols, Livia, Glenville, and Buttonsberry.
McLean County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. McLean Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1860. McLean Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1860, 1870 and 1880. McLean Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1860, 1870 and 1880. McLean Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
McLean County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of McLean County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- McLean County Historical Society,
Box 193, Route 3,
Calhoun KY 42327
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- McLean County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- McLean County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in McLean County
- McLean County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for McLean County
- KYMCLEAN. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in McLean County, Kentucky. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- WEST-CENTRAL-KY. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in West-Central Kentucky, including the counties of Breckinridge, Butler, Daviess, Edmonson, Grayson, Hancock, Hardin, Hart, LaRue, McLean, Meade, and Ohio, which were all derived in large part from Old Hardin County as it was created in 1792. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
McLean County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the advantages of McLean County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of the many Kentucky citizens.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of facets of their lives in the McLean County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Please make sure to speak to the clerk's dept to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or inquiring about information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of staff will help people in locating the materials, however it is up to the individual to do the researching.
The following facts indicates what death, marriage, birth, land, probate, and legal records are located in McLean county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for each county. There was a courthouse fire in 1903.
- McLeand County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: Main St., Calhoun, KY, 42327
- Phone: (270) 273-3082
- Marriage Records: 1854
- Land Records: 1854
- Probate Records: 1847
- McLean County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: McLean County Courthouse, 210 E. Main St., P.O. Box 145, Calhoun, KY 42327-0145
- Phone: (270) 273-3966
- Court Records: 1854
- McLean County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- McLean County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information on Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
McLean County Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to McLean County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred McLean County genealogy or family history associated sites.
McLean Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
McLean Co. KY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
McLean Co. KY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
McLean Co. KY Census Records
McLean Co. KY Cemeteries & Graveyards
McLean Co. KY Church & Bible Records
McLean Co. KY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
McLean Co. KY General and History Websites
McLean Co. KY Immigration & Naturalization
McLean Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
McLean Co. KY Military Records
- Kentucky Military Records (Fold3.com) delivers access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Pennsylvania individuals who served. Perfect for McLean County genealogists, researchers, historians and a lot more.