McCracken County, Kentucky Facts
McCracken County, Kentucky family history and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to assist you to you find your personal McCracken Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by putting together a Free Family Tree.
McCracken County was established on January 15, 1825 from Hickman County. Currently the county was named in honor of Virgil McCracken, military captain killed at the Battle of Frenchtown .
Currently the McCracken County Seat is situated in Paducah additionally, the county government website is mccrackenfiscalcourt.com
Locations adjacent to McCracken County happen to be Massac County, Illinois (north), Livingston County (northeast), Marshall County (east), Graves County (south), Carlisle County (southwest), Ballard County (west).
Cities and towns to be found in McCracken County comprise of Hendron, Lone Oak, Massac, Paducah, Reidland, Woodlawn-Oakdale.
McCracken County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. McCracken Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. McCracken Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. McCracken Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. McCracken Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
McCracken County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of McCracken County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- McCracken County Genealogical Society, P.O.Box 7651, 4640 Buckner Lane, Paducah, KY 42001
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- McCracken County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- McCracken County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in McCracken County
- McCracken County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for McCracken County
- KYMCCRAC. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in McCracken County, Kentucky. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- KYWEST. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical or historical interest in the Western Kentucky counties of Ballard, Caldwell, Calloway, Carlisle, Christian, Crittenden, Fulton, Graves, Henderson, Hickman, Hopkins, Livingston, Lyon, McCracken, Marshall, Trigg, Union, and Webster. Postings must have a connection to one of these counties. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- KYJacksonPurchase. A mailing list for those whose family roots and research trace to the Jackson Purchase area of Western Kentucky, covering the counties of Ballard, Calloway, Carlisle, Fulton, Graves, Hickman, Marshall, and McCracken. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- KYJacksonPurchase-LORE. A mailing list anyone with a genealogical interest in 19th and early-20th century familiy stories and lore in the Jackson Purchase area of western Kentucky, covering the counties of Ballard, Calloway, Carlisle, Fulton, Graves, Hickman, Marshall, and McCracken. This list is dedicated more to preserving the historical background of families in the Jackson Purchase area than to "names and dates" genealogy, which can be posted to the KYJacksonPurchase list discussed above. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
McCracken County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the advantages of McCracken County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of the many Kentucky citizens.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of facets of their lives in the McCracken County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Please make sure to speak to the clerk's dept to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or inquiring about information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of staff will help people in locating the materials, however it is up to the individual to do the researching.
The following facts indicates what death, marriage, birth, land, probate, and legal records are located in McCracken County. The dates stated below tend to be the first widely known records in this county.
- McCracken County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: Main St., Paducah, KY, 42002
- Phone: (270) 444-4700
- Marriage Records: 1825
- Land Records: 1825
- Probate Records: 1825
- McCracken County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: McCracken County Courthouse, 301 S. Sixth St., P.O. Box 1455, Paducah, KY 42002-1455
- Phone: (270) 575-7280
- Court Records: 1825
- McCracken County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- McCracken County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information on Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
McCracken County Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to McCracken County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred McCracken County genealogy or family history associated sites.
McCracken Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
McCracken Co. KY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
McCracken Co. KY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
McCracken Co. KY Census Records
McCracken Co. KY Cemeteries & Graveyards
McCracken Co. KY Church & Bible Records
McCracken Co. KY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
McCracken Co. KY General and History Websites
McCracken Co. KY Immigration & Naturalization
McCracken Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
McCracken Co. KY Military Records
- Kentucky Military Records (Fold3.com) delivers access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Pennsylvania individuals who served. Perfect for McCracken County genealogists, researchers, historians and a lot more.
McCracken Co. KY Schools & Directories