Mason County, Kentucky Facts
Mason County, Kentucky family history and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to assist you to you find your personal Mason Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Mason County was established on November 5, 1788 from Bourbon County. Currently the county was named in honor of George Mason (1725–1792), statesman known as the "Father of the Bill of Rights" .
Currently the Mason County Seat is situated in Maysville additionally, the county government website is www.masoncountykentucky.com
Locations adjacent to Mason County happen to be Brown County, Ohio (north), Adams County, Ohio (northeast), Lewis County (east), Fleming County (south), Robertson County (southwest), Bracken County (west).
Cities and towns to be found in Mason County comprise of Dover, Germantown, Maysville, Sardis.
Mason County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1790, 1800 (destroyed), 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Mason Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Mason Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Mason Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Mason Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Mason County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Mason County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Mason County Historical Society, 319 West Third Street , Maysville, KY 41056-1016
- Mason County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 266, Maysville KY 41056
- Mason County Meuseum, (has a genealogical department) (606)564-5865
- Mason County Public Library, East Third St. , Maysville, KY 41056; (606) 564-3286
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Mason County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Mason County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Mason County
- Mason County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Mason County
- KYMASON. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Mason County, Kentucky. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
Mason County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the advantages of Mason County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of the many Kentucky citizens.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Mason County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Please make sure to speak to the clerk's dept to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or inquiring about information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of staff will help people in locating the materials, however it is up to the individual to do the researching.
The following facts indicates what death, marriage, birth, land, probate, and legal records are located in Mason County. The dates stated below tend to be the first widely known records in this county.
- Mason County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: Main St., Maysville, KY, 41056
- Phone: (606) 564-3341
- Marriage Records: 1789
- Land Records: 1789
- Probate Records: 1791
- Mason County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Mason County Justice Center, 100 W. 3rd St., Maysville, KY 41056
- Phone: (606) 564-4340
- Court Records: 1789
- Mason County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Mason County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information on Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
Mason County Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Mason County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Mason County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Mason Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Mason Co. KY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Mason Co. KY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Mason Co. KY Census Records
Mason Co. KY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Mason Co. KY Church & Bible Records
Mason Co. KY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Mason Co. KY General and History Websites
Mason Co. KY Immigration & Naturalization
Mason Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Mason Co. KY Military Records
- Kentucky Military Records (Fold3.com) delivers access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Pennsylvania individuals who served. Perfect for Mason County genealogists, researchers, historians and a lot more.