Madison County, Kentucky Facts
Madison County, Kentucky family history and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to assist you to you find your personal Madison Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Madison County was established on December 15, 1785 from Lincoln County. Currently the county was named in honor of James Madison, President of the United States (1809–1817) .
Currently the Madison County Seat is situated in Richmond additionally, the county government website is www.madisoncountyky.us
Locations adjacent to Madison County happen to be Fayette County (north), Clark County (northeast), Estill County (east), Jackson County (southeast), Rockcastle County (south), Garrard County (southwest), Jessamine County (northwest).
Cities and towns to be found in Madison County comprise of Berea, Richmond, Waco.
Madison County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1790, 1800 (destroyed), 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Madison Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Madison Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Madison Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Madison Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Madison County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Madison County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Madison County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the advantages of Madison County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of the many Kentucky citizens.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Madison County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Please make sure to speak to the clerk's dept to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or inquiring about information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of staff will help people in locating the materials, however it is up to the individual to do the researching.
The following facts indicates what death, marriage, birth, land, probate, and legal records are located in Madison County. The dates stated below tend to be the first widely known records in this county.
- Madison County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: 101 West Main Street, Richmond, KY, 40475
- Phone: (859) 624-4706
- Marriage Records: 1786
- Land Records: 1787
- Probate Records: 1787
- Madison County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Madison County Courthouse, 101 W. Main St., P.O. Box 813, Richmond, KY 40476-0813
- Phone: (859) 624-4793
- Court Records:1786
- Madison County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Madison County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information on Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
Madison County Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Madison County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Madison County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Madison Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Madison Co. KY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Madison Co. KY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Madison Co. KY Census Records
Madison Co. KY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Madison Co. KY Church & Bible Records
Madison Co. KY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Madison Co. KY General and History Websites
Madison Co. KY Immigration & Naturalization
Madison Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Madison Co. KY Military Records
- Kentucky Military Records (Fold3.com) delivers access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Pennsylvania individuals who served. Perfect for Madison County genealogists, researchers, historians and a lot more.