Logan County, Kentucky Facts
Logan County, Kentucky family history and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to assist you to you find your personal Logan Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Logan County was established on September 1, 1792 from Lincoln County. Currently the county was named in honor of Benjamin Logan (1742–1802), Revolutionary War general .
Currently the Logan County Seat is situated in Russellville additionally, the county government website is www.logancounty.ky.gov
Locations adjacent to Logan County happen to be Muhlenberg County (northwest), Butler County (north), Warren County (northeast), Simpson County (southeast), Robertson County, Tennessee (south), Todd County (west).
Cities and towns to be found in Logan County comprise of Adairville, Auburn, Lewisburg, Russellville; unincorporated communities include Olmstead and Chandlers Chapel.
Logan County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1800 (destroyed), 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Logan Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Logan Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Logan Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Logan Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Logan County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Logan County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Logan County Genealogical Society, Box 853, Russellville KY 42276
- Auburn Historical Society, Auburn KY
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Logan County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Logan County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Logan County
- Logan County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Logan County
- SOUTH-CENTRAL-KENTUCKY. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical or historical interest in the Kentucky counties of Allen, Barren, Cumberland, Edmonson, Green, Hardin, Hart, Logan, Metcalfe, Monroe, and Warren. As well as a place for the posting of queries, the list owner will post source data from these counties on a daily basis (as much as possible) including wills, vital statistics, and cemetery records. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- KYLOGAN. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Logan County, Kentucky. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- KY-AUBHISTSOC. A mailing list for the discussion and sharing of information regarding the activities of the Auburn (Kentucky) Historical Society and genealogical resources available in the Logan/Simpson County area. Genealogical queries are welcome as long as they address areas specifically related to Logan and Simpson Counties or the Greenwood Schoolhouse. Additional information can be found on the Auburn Historical Society website. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
Logan County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the advantages of Logan County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of the many Kentucky citizens.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Logan County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Please make sure to speak to the clerk's dept to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or inquiring about information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of staff will help people in locating the materials, however it is up to the individual to do the researching.
The following facts indicates what death, marriage, birth, land, probate, and legal records are located in Logan County. The dates stated below tend to be the first widely known records in this county.
- Logan County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: 229 West 3rd St., Russellville, KY, 42276
- Phone: (270) 726-4355
- Marriage Records: 1790
- Land Records: 1792
- Probate Records: 1795
- Logan County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Logan County Court of Justice, 329 W. Fourth St., P.O. Box 420, Russellville, KY 42276-0420
- Phone: (270) 726-2424
- Court Records:1793
- Logan County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Logan County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information on Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
Logan County Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Logan County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Logan County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Logan Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Logan Co. KY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Logan Co. KY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
- Order County Court, Civil or Criminal Records Online
- Logan Co., KY Order Book indexes for 1792-1860
- Order Book 1, 1792-1806
- Order Book 1A, 1793-1802
- Order Book 2, 1801-1803
- Order Book 3, 1803-1806
- Order Book 4, 1806-1809
- Order Book 5, 1809-1813
- Order Book 6, 1813-1817
- Order Book 7, 1817-1822
- Order Book 8, 1822-1830
- Order Book 9, 1830-1838
- Order Book 10, 1839-1846
- Order Book 11, 1846-1853
- Order Book 12, 1854-1860
- Will/Probate Record Request Form (kdla.ky.gov)
- BLM Land Records (glorecords.blm.gov)
Logan Co. KY Census Records
Logan Co. KY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Logan Co. KY Church & Bible Records
Logan Co. KY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Logan Co. KY General and History Websites
Logan Co. KY Immigration & Naturalization
Logan Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Logan Co. KY Military Records
- Kentucky Military Records (Fold3.com) delivers access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Pennsylvania individuals who served. Perfect for Logan County genealogists, researchers, historians and a lot more.