Livingston County, Kentucky Facts
Livingston County, Kentucky family history and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to assist you to you find your personal Livingston Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Livingston County was established on December 13, 1798 from Christian County (Although Livingston was created 13 Dec 1798, county administration didn’t become effective until 21 May 1799). Currently the county was named in honor of Robert Livingston (1746–1813), one of the Committee of Five that drafted the Declaration of Independence.
Currently the Livingston County Seat is situated in Smithland additionally, the county government website is www.livingstonco.ky.gov
Locations adjacent to Livingston County happen to be Hardin County, Illinois (north), Crittenden County (northeast), Lyon County (southeast), Marshall County (south), McCracken County (southwest), Massac County, Illinois (west), Pope County, Illinois (northwest).
Cities and towns to be found in Livingston County comprise of Carrsville, Grand Rivers, Ledbetter, Salem, Smithland.
Livingston County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1800 (destroyed), 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Livingston Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Livingston Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Livingston Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Livingston Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Livingston County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Livingston County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Livingston County Historical & Genealogical Society, PO Box 138, Smithland, KY 42081
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Livingston County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Livingston County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Livingston County
- Livingston County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Livingston County
- KYLIVING. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Livingston County, Kentucky. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- KYWEST. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical or historical interest in the Western Kentucky counties of Ballard, Caldwell, Calloway, Carlisle, Christian, Crittenden, Fulton, Graves, Henderson, Hickman, Hopkins, Livingston, Lyon, McCracken, Marshall, Trigg, Union, and Webster. Postings must have a connection to one of these counties. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- SWKY-NWTN. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in the counties of southwest Kentucky (Fulton, Graves, Calloway, Trigg, Marshall, Hickman, Carlisle, Lyon, Livingston, Ballard, Caldwell, Crittenden) and northwest Tennessee (Obion, Weakley, Henry, Carroll, Benton, Dyer, Gibson, Humphreys). To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
Livingston County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the advantages of Livingston County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of the many Kentucky citizens.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Livingston County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Please make sure to speak to the clerk's dept to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or inquiring about information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of staff will help people in locating the materials, however it is up to the individual to do the researching.
The following facts indicates what death, marriage, birth, land, probate, and legal records are located in Livingston County. The dates stated below tend to be the first widely known records in this county.
- Livingston County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: Main St., Smithland, KY, 42081
- Phone: (270) 928-2162
- Marriage Records: 1799
- Land Records: 1800
- Probate Records: 1799
- Livingston County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Livingston County Justice Center, 122 W. Adair St., P.O. Box 160, Smithland, KY 42081-0160
- Phone: (270) 928-2172
- Court Records: 1798
- Livingston County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Livingston County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information on Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
Livingston County Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Livingston County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Livingston County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Livingston Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Livingston Co. KY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Livingston Co. KY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Livingston Co. KY Census Records
Livingston Co. KY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Livingston Co. KY Church & Bible Records
Livingston Co. KY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Livingston Co. KY General and History Websites
Livingston Co. KY Immigration & Naturalization
Livingston Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Livingston Co. KY Military Records
- Kentucky Military Records (Fold3.com) delivers access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Pennsylvania individuals who served. Perfect for Livingston County genealogists, researchers, historians and a lot more.