Lincoln County, Kentucky Facts
Lincoln County, Kentucky family history and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to assist you to you find your personal Lincoln Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Lincoln County was established on June 30, 1780 as one of three original Kentucky counties (became effective November 1, 1780). Currently the county was named in honor of Benjamin Lincoln (1733–1810), Revolutionary War general .
Currently the Lincoln County Seat is situated in Stanford additionally, the county government website is www.lincolnky.com
Locations adjacent to Lincoln County happen to be Boyle County (northwest), Garrard County (northeast), Rockcastle County (east), Pulaski County (south), Casey County (west).
Cities and towns to be found in Lincoln County comprise of Crab Orchard, Eubank, Hustonville, Stanford.
Lincoln County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1790, 1800 (destroyed), 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Lincoln Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Lincoln Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Lincoln Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Lincoln Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Lincoln County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Lincoln County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Lincoln County Historical Society, 313 Redwood Drive, Stanford KY 40484
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Lincoln County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Lincoln County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Lincoln County
- Lincoln County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Lincoln County
- KYLINCOL. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Lincoln County, Kentucky. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- CENTRAL-KY. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Central Kentucky including Boyle, Bullitt, Casey, Clark, Estill, Garrard, Hardin, Jackson, Jessamine, LaRue, Lincoln, Marion, Nelson, Russell, Taylor, and Powell Counties. The list also covers any central Kentucky area if the county is unknown. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
Lincoln County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the advantages of Lincoln County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of the many Kentucky citizens.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Lincoln County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Please make sure to speak to the clerk's dept to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or inquiring about information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of staff will help people in locating the materials, however it is up to the individual to do the researching.
The following facts indicates what death, marriage, birth, land, probate, and legal records are located in Lincoln County. The dates stated below tend to be the first widely known records in this county.
- Lincoln County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: 102 East Main St., Ste.5, Stanford, KY, 40484
- Phone: (606) 365-4572
- Marriage Records: 1781
- Land Records: 1780
- Probate Records: 1781
- Lincoln County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Lincoln County Judicial Center, 101 E. Main St., Stanford, KY 40484
- Phone: (606) 365-2535
- Court Records: 1780
- Lincoln County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Lincoln County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information on Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
Lincoln County Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Lincoln County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Lincoln County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Lincoln Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Lincoln Co. KY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Lincoln Co. KY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Lincoln Co. KY Census Records
Lincoln Co. KY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Lincoln Co. KY Church & Bible Records
Lincoln Co. KY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Lincoln Co. KY General and History Websites
Lincoln Co. KY Immigration & Naturalization
Lincoln Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Lincoln Co. KY Military Records
- Kentucky Military Records (Fold3.com) delivers access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Pennsylvania individuals who served. Perfect for Lincoln County genealogists, researchers, historians and a lot more.