Lawrence County, Kentucky Facts
Lawrence County, Kentucky family history and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to assist you to you find your personal Lawrence Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Lawrence County was established on December 14, 1821 from Floyd County and Greenup County. Currently the county was named in honor of James Lawrence (1781–1813), naval commander during the War of 1812.
Currently the Lawrence County Seat is situated in Louisa additionally, the county government website is www.lawrencecounty.ky.gov
Locations adjacent to Lawrence County happen to be Carter County (northwest), Boyd County (north), Wayne County, West Virginia (east), Martin County (southeast), Johnson County (south), Morgan County (southwest), Elliott County (west).
Cities and towns to be found in Lawrence County comprise of Blaine, Louisa.
Lawrence County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Lawrence Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Lawrence Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Lawrence Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Lawrence Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Lawrence County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Lawrence County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Lawrence County Historical Society, 100 Rodburn Road, Apt. 121, Morehead KY 40351
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Lawrence County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Lawrence County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Lawrence County
- Lawrence County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Lawrence County
- KYLAWREN. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Lawrence County, Kentucky. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- KYLAWRENCE-HISTORY. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical or historical interest in Lawrence County, Kentucky. This list is strictly for genealogy/history discussions, chatting about other county-related topics is beyond the scope of the list. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- LawrenceCoKy. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Lawrence County, Kentucky. You can subscribe from http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lawrencecoky/ or by sending the following to email@example.com: subscribe
- EASTERNKENTUCKY. A mailing list for all researchers who's ancestors settled in or traveled through the state of Kentucky. Some of the counties covered are Bell, Boyd, Breathitt, Carter, Clay, Elliot, Estill, Floyd, Greenup, Harlan, Jackson, Johnson, Knott, Knox, Laurel, Lawrence, Lee, Leslie, Letcher, Lewis, Magoffin, Morgan, Owsley, Perry, Pike, Powell, Rowan, Whitley, Wolfe, and adjacent counties that represent the East Kentucky Coalfields. Additional information can be found on the East Kentucky Genealogy website. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
Lawrence County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the advantages of Lawrence County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of the many Kentucky citizens.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Lawrence County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Please make sure to speak to the clerk's dept to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or inquiring about information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of staff will help people in locating the materials, however it is up to the individual to do the researching.
The following facts indicates what death, marriage, birth, land, probate, and legal records are located in Lawrence County. The dates stated below tend to be the first widely known records in this county.
- Lawrence County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: 122 South Main Cross Street., Louisa, KY, 41230
- Phone: (606) 638-4108
- Marriage Records: 1822
- Land Records: 1822
- Probate Records: 1821
- Lawrence County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Lawrence County Courthouse Annex, 122 Main Cross St., P.O. Box 847, Louisa, KY 41230-0847
- Phone: (606) 638-4215
- Court Records: 1822
- Lawrence County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Lawrence County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information on Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
Lawrence County Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Lawrence County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Lawrence County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Lawrence Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Lawrence Co. KY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Lawrence Co. KY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Lawrence Co. KY Census Records
Lawrence Co. KY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Lawrence Co. KY Church & Bible Records
Lawrence Co. KY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Lawrence Co. KY General and History Websites
Lawrence Co. KY Immigration & Naturalization
Lawrence Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Lawrence Co. KY Military Records
- Kentucky Military Records (Fold3.com) delivers access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Pennsylvania individuals who served. Perfect for Lawrence County genealogists, researchers, historians and a lot more.