Laurel County, Kentucky Facts
Laurel County, Kentucky family history and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to assist you to you find your personal Laurel Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Laurel County was established on December 21, 1825 from Whitley County, Clay County, Knox County and Rockcastle County. Currently the county was named for the Mountain laurel trees that are prominent in the area.
Currently the Laurel County Seat is situated in London additionally, the county government website is www.londonlaurelchamber.com
Locations adjacent to Laurel County happen to be Jackson County (northeast), Clay County (east), Knox County (southeast), Whitley County (south), McCreary County (southwest), Pulaski County (west), Rockcastle County (northwest).
Cities and towns to be found in Laurel County comprise of East Bernstadt, London, North Corbin.
Laurel County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Laurel Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Laurel Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Laurel Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Laurel Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Laurel County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Laurel County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Laurel County History Museum and Genealogy Center
- Laurel County Historical Society, P.O. Box 816 - City Building, London, KY 40741
- Corbin Genealogical Society,
P.O. Box 353,
Corbin KY 40701;
Covering Knox, Laurel & Whitley counties
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Laurel County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Laurel County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Laurel County
- Laurel County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Laurel County
- KYLAUREL. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Laurel County, Kentucky. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- EASTERNKENTUCKY. A mailing list for all researchers who's ancestors settled in or traveled through the state of Kentucky. Some of the counties covered are Bell, Boyd, Breathitt, Carter, Clay, Elliot, Estill, Floyd, Greenup, Harlan, Jackson, Johnson, Knott, Knox, Laurel, Lawrence, Lee, Leslie, Letcher, Lewis, Magoffin, Morgan, Owsley, Perry, Pike, Powell, Rowan, Whitley, Wolfe, and adjacent counties that represent the East Kentucky Coalfields. Additional information can be found on the East Kentucky Genealogy website. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
Laurel County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the advantages of Laurel County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of the many Kentucky citizens.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Laurel County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Please make sure to speak to the clerk's dept to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or inquiring about information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of staff will help people in locating the materials, however it is up to the individual to do the researching.
The following facts indicates what death, marriage, birth, land, probate, and legal records are located in Laurel county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for each county. A courthouse fire occurred on 9 Dec 1958.
- Laureld County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: 101 South Main St., London, KY, 40741
- Phone: (606) 864-7369
- Marriage Records: 1826
- Land Records: 1826
- Probate Records: 1817
- Laurel County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Laurel County Judicial Center, 305 S. Main St., P.O. Box 1798, London, KY 40743-1798
- Phone: (606) 330-2079
- Court Records: 1826
- Laurel County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Laurel County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information on Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
Laurel County Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Laurel County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Laurel County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Laurel Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Laurel Co. KY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Laurel Co. KY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Laurel Co. KY Census Records
Laurel Co. KY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Laurel Co. KY Church & Bible Records
Laurel Co. KY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Laurel Co. KY General and History Websites
Laurel Co. KY Immigration & Naturalization
Laurel Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Laurel Co. KY Military Records
- Kentucky Military Records (Fold3.com) delivers access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Pennsylvania individuals who served. Perfect for Laurel County genealogists, researchers, historians and a lot more.