Jefferson County, Kentucky Facts
Jefferson County, Kentucky family history and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to assist you to you find your personal Jefferson Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Jefferson County was established on May 1, 1780 as one of three original Kentucky counties . Currently the county was named in honor of Thomas Jefferson, President of the United States (1801–1809) .
Currently the Jefferson County Seat is situated in Louisville additionally, the county government website is www.louisvilleky.gov
Locations adjacent to Jefferson County happen to be Clark County, Indiana (north), Oldham County (northeast), Shelby County (east), Spencer County (southeast), Bullitt County (south), Hardin County (southwest), Harrison County, Indiana (west), Floyd County, Indiana (northwest).
Cities and towns to be found in Jefferson County comprise of Anchorage, Audubon Park, Bancroft, Barbourmeade, Beechwood Village, Bellemeade, Bellewood, Blue Ridge Manor, Briarwood, Broad Fields, Broeck Pointe, Brownsboro Farm, Brownsboro Village, Cambridge, Cherrywood Village, Coldstream, Creekside, Crossgate, Douglass Hills, Druid Hills, Fairmeade, Fincastle, Fisherville, Forest Hills, Glenview Hills, Glenview Manor, Glenview, Goose Creek, Graymoor-Devondale, Green Spring, Hickory Hill, Hills and Dales, Hollow Creek, Hollyvilla, Houston Acres, Hurstbourne Acres, Hurstbourne, Indian Hills, Jeffersontown, Keeneland, Kingsley, Langdon Place, Lincolnshire, Louisville, Lyndon, Lynnview, Manor Creek, Maryhill Estates, Meadow Vale, Meadowbrook Farm, Meadowview Estates, Middletown, Minor Lane Heights, Mockingbird Valley, Moorland, Murray Hill, Norbourne Estates, Northfield, Norwood, Old Brownsboro Place, Parkway Village, Plantation, Plymouth Village, Poplar Hills, Prospect, Richlawn, Riverwood, Rolling Fields, Rolling Hills, Seneca Gardens, Shively, South Park View, Spring Mill, Spring Valley, Springlee, St. Matthews, St. Regis Park, Strathmoor Manor, Strathmoor Village, Sycamore, Ten Broeck, Thornhill, Watterson Park, Wellington, West Buechel, Wildwood, Windy Hills, Woodland Hills, Woodlawn Park, Worthington Hills, Whipps Millgate .
Jefferson County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1790, 1800 (destroyed), 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Jefferson Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Jefferson Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Jefferson Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Jefferson Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Jefferson County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Jefferson County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Jeffersontown & Southeast Jefferson County Historical Society, 2432 Merriwood Drive, Jeffersontown KY 40299
- Louisville Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 5164, Louisville KY 40205
- Louisville Civil War Roundtable, P.O. Box 1861, Louisville KY 40201
- The Filson Historical Society , 1310 South Third Street, Louisville, KY 40208; Phone: (502) 635-5083, FAX: (502) 635-5086
- Jewish Genealogical Society of Louisville, 3304 Furman Blvd, Louisville KY 40220
- Ancestral Trails Historical Society, PO Box 1796, Elizabethtown, KY 42702-1796; (270) 982-0881. We are a Regional Society representing Breckinridge, Bullitt, Edmonson, Grayson, Hardin, Hart, Jefferson, LaRue, Meade, Nelson counties in Kentucky. We have a free research library with over 1200 books and many research books for sale. We have a index of the articles from our Quarterly News Magazine listed on our website. These articles can be requested at a minimal charge.
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Jefferson County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Jefferson County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Jefferson County
- Jefferson County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Jefferson County
- ARCHIVES/RECORDS DEPARTMENT, 514 West Liberty Street (Room 100), (Old Jail Building)
- KYJEFFER. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Jefferson County, Kentucky. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- KENTUCKIANA. A mailing list for genealogy research and information exchange in the Indiana counties of Clark, Crawford, Dubois, Floyd, Gibson, Harrison, Orange, Perry, Pike, Posey, Scott, Spencer, Warrick and Washington, and the Kentucky counties of Breckinridge, Bullitt, Carroll, Hardin, Jefferson, Meade, Nelson, Oldham, Shelby, Spencer and Trimble. This is a highly research structured list, chatroom atmosphere is discouraged. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
Jefferson County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the advantages of Jefferson County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of the many Kentucky citizens.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Jefferson County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Please make sure to speak to the clerk's dept to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or inquiring about information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of staff will help people in locating the materials, however it is up to the individual to do the researching.
The following facts indicates what death, marriage, birth, land, probate, and legal records are located in Jefferson County. The dates stated below tend to be the first widely known records in this county.
- Jefferson County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: 527 West Jefferson St., Ste. 105, Louisville, KY, 40202
- Phone: (502) 574-5566
- Marriage Records: 1781
- Land Records: 1783
- Probate Records: 1784
- Jefferson County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Louis D. Brandeis Hall of Justice, 600 W. Jefferson St., Louisville, KY 40202
- Phone: (502) 595-3055
- Court Records: 1780
- Jefferson County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Jefferson County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information on Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
Jefferson County Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Jefferson County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Jefferson County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Jefferson Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Jefferson Co. KY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Jefferson Co. KY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Jefferson Co. KY Census Records
Jefferson Co. KY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Jefferson Co. KY Church & Bible Records
Jefferson Co. KY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Jefferson Co. KY General and History Websites
Jefferson Co. KY Immigration & Naturalization
Jefferson Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Jefferson Co. KY Military Records
- Kentucky Military Records (Fold3.com) delivers access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Pennsylvania individuals who served. Perfect for Jefferson County genealogists, researchers, historians and a lot more.
Jefferson Co. KY Schools & Directories
- Louisville, Kentucky Directories, 1890 (search.ancestry.com)
- Louisville, Jefferson County, Kentucky Directory, 1886 (search.ancestry.com)
- Louisville, Kentucky Directory, 1887 (search.ancestry.com)
- Caron's directory of the city of Louisville for 1909 : containing a list of the inhabitants, their residence and occupation, a (search.ancestry.com)
- Louisville, Jefferson County, Kentucky Directory, 1832 (search.ancestry.com)