Hopkins County, Kentucky Facts
Hopkins County, Kentucky family history and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to assist you to you find your personal Hopkins Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Hopkins County was established on December 9, 1806 from Henderson County. Currently the county was named in honor of Samuel Hopkins (1753–1819), Revolutionary War general .
Currently the Hopkins County Seat is situated in Madisonville additionally, the county government website is www.hopkinscounty.ky.gov
Locations adjacent to Hopkins County happen to be Webster County (northwest), McLean County (northeast), Muhlenberg County (southeast), Christian County (south), Caldwell County (southwest).
Cities and towns to be found in Hopkins County comprise of Charleston, Dawson Springs, Earlington, Hanson, Madisonville, Mortons Gap, Nebo, Nortonville, St. Charles, White Plains, Manitou.
Hopkins County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Hopkins Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Hopkins Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Hopkins Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Hopkins Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Hopkins County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Hopkins County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Hopkins County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 51, Madisonville, KY 42431
- Hopkins County Historical Society, 107 Union Street, Madisonville KY 42431
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Hopkins County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Hopkins County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Hopkins County
- Hopkins County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Hopkins County
- HOPKINS-CTY. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical or historical interest in Hopkins County, Kentucky. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- KYHOPKIN. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Hopkins County, Kentucky. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- KYWEST. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical or historical interest in the Western Kentucky counties of Ballard, Caldwell, Calloway, Carlisle, Christian, Crittenden, Fulton, Graves, Henderson, Hickman, Hopkins, Livingston, Lyon, McCracken, Marshall, Trigg, Union, and Webster. Postings must have a connection to one of these counties. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
Hopkins County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the advantages of Hopkins County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of the many Kentucky citizens.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Hopkins County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Please make sure to speak to the clerk's dept to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or inquiring about information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of staff will help people in locating the materials, however it is up to the individual to do the researching.
The following facts indicates what death, marriage, birth, land, probate, and legal records are located in Hopkins county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for each county. Courthouse fire destroyed records in 1829 and in Dec 1864.
- Hopkinsd County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: 24 Union Street, Madisonville, KY, 42431
- Phone: (270) 821-7361
- Marriage Records: 1806
- Land Records: 1807
- Probate Records: 1800
- Hopkins County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Hopkins County Courthouse, 30 S. Main St., Madisonville, KY 42431
- Phone: (270) 824-7502
- Court Records: 1808
- Hopkins County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Hopkins County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information on Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
Hopkins County Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Hopkins County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Hopkins County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Hopkins Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Hopkins Co. KY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Hopkins Co. KY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Hopkins Co. KY Census Records
Hopkins Co. KY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Hopkins Co. KY Church & Bible Records
Hopkins Co. KY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Hopkins Co. KY General and History Websites
Hopkins Co. KY Immigration & Naturalization
Hopkins Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Hopkins Co. KY Military Records
- Kentucky Military Records (Fold3.com) delivers access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Pennsylvania individuals who served. Perfect for Hopkins County genealogists, researchers, historians and a lot more.