Henry County, Kentucky Facts
Henry County, Kentucky family history and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to assist you to you find your personal Henry Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Henry County was established on December 14, 1798 from Shelby County. Currently the county was named in honor of Patrick Henry (1736–1799), Revolutionary War-era legislator and U.S. founding father .
Currently the Henry County Seat is situated in New Castle additionally, the county government website is henrycountygov.com
Locations adjacent to Henry County happen to be Carroll County (north), Owen County (east), Franklin County (southeast), Shelby County (south), Oldham County (west), Trimble County (northwest).
Cities and towns to be found in Henry County comprise of Campbellsburg, Eminence, New Castle, Pleasureville, Smithfield.
Henry County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1800 (destroyed), 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Henry Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Henry Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Henry Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Henry Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Henry County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Henry County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Henry County Historical Society, 219 S. Main St., P.O. Box 570, New Castle, KY 40050; 1-502 845-0999
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Henry County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Henry County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Henry County
- Henry County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Henry County
- KYHENRY. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Henry County, Kentucky. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- SWKY-NWTN. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in the counties of southwest Kentucky (Fulton, Graves, Calloway, Trigg, Marshall, Hickman, Carlisle, Lyon, Livingston, Ballard, Caldwell, Crittenden) and northwest Tennessee (Obion, Weakley, Henry, Carroll, Benton, Dyer, Gibson, Humphreys). To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
Henry County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the advantages of Henry County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of the many Kentucky citizens.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Henry County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Please make sure to speak to the clerk's dept to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or inquiring about information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of staff will help people in locating the materials, however it is up to the individual to do the researching.
The following facts indicates what death, marriage, birth, land, probate, and legal records are located in Henry county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for each county. A loss of some records occurred due to a fire in 1804.
- Henryd County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: 27 South Property Rd, New Castle, KY, 40050
- Phone: (502) 845-5705
- Marriage Records: 1800
- Land Records: 1799
- Probate Records: 1765
- Henry County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Henry County Courthouse, 30 N. Main St., P.O. Box 359, New Castle, KY 40050-0359
- Phone: (502) 845-2868
- Court Records: 1803
- Henry County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Henry County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information on Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
Henry County Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Henry County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Henry County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Henry Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Henry Co. KY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Henry Co. KY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Henry Co. KY Census Records
Henry Co. KY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Henry Co. KY Church & Bible Records
Henry Co. KY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Henry Co. KY General and History Websites
Henry Co. KY Immigration & Naturalization
Henry Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Henry Co. KY Military Records
- Kentucky Military Records (Fold3.com) delivers access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Pennsylvania individuals who served. Perfect for Henry County genealogists, researchers, historians and a lot more.