Hart County, Kentucky Facts
Hart County, Kentucky family history and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to assist you to you find your personal Hart Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Hart County was established on January 28, 1819 from Hardin County and Barren County. Currently the county was named in honor of Nathaniel G. S. Hart (1784–1813), army major and lawyer captured at the Battle of Frenchtown.
Currently the Hart County Seat is situated in Munfordville additionally, the county government website is www.hartcounty.ky.gov
Locations adjacent to Hart County happen to be Hardin County (north), LaRue County (northeast), Green County (east), Metcalfe County (southeast), Barren County (south), Edmonson County (southwest), Grayson County (northwest).
Cities and towns to be found in Hart County comprise of Bonnieville, Hardyville, Horse Cave, Munfordville, Rowletts, Uno.
Hart County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Hart Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Hart Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Hart Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Hart Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Hart County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Hart County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Hart County Historical Society, P.O. Box 606, Munfordville KY 42765
- Ancestral Trails Historical Society, PO Box 1796, Elizabethtown, KY 42702-1796; (270) 982-0881. We are a Regional Society representing Breckinridge, Bullitt, Edmonson, Grayson, Hardin, Hart, Jefferson, LaRue, Meade, Nelson counties in Kentucky. We have a free research library with over 1200 books and many research books for sale. We have a index of the articles from our Quarterly News Magazine listed on our website. These articles can be requested at a minimal charge.
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Hart County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Hart County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Hart County
- Hart County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Hart County
- KYHART. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Hart County, Kentucky. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- KYHART-HISTORY. A mailing list for the discussion and sharing of information regarding history and personal stories associated with Hart County, Kentucky, in order to place the life and times of our ancestors in perspective. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- WEST-CENTRAL-KY. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in West-Central Kentucky, including the counties of Breckinridge, Butler, Daviess, Edmonson, Grayson, Hancock, Hardin, Hart, LaRue, McLean, Meade, and Ohio, which were all derived in large part from Old Hardin County as it was created in 1792. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- SOUTH-CENTRAL-KENTUCKY. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical or historical interest in the Kentucky counties of Allen, Barren, Cumberland, Edmonson, Green, Hardin, Hart, Logan, Metcalfe, Monroe, and Warren. As well as a place for the posting of queries, the list owner will post source data from these counties on a daily basis (as much as possible) including wills, vital statistics, and cemetery records. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
Hart County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the advantages of Hart County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of the many Kentucky citizens.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Hart County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Please make sure to speak to the clerk's dept to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or inquiring about information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of staff will help people in locating the materials, however it is up to the individual to do the researching.
The following facts indicates what death, marriage, birth, land, probate, and legal records are located in Hart county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for each county. Some records were lost in a courthouse fire on 3 Jan 1928.
- Hartd County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: Main St Courthouse, Munfordville, KY, 42765
- Phone: (270) 524-2751
- Marriage Records: 1852
- Land Records: 1783
- Probate Records: ?
- Hart County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Hart County Judicial Center, 117 E. South St., P.O. Box 248, Munfordville, KY 42765-0248
- Phone: (270) 524-5181
- Court Records: 1819
- Hart County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Hart County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information on Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
Hart County Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Hart County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Hart County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Hart Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Hart Co. KY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Hart Co. KY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Hart Co. KY Census Records
Hart Co. KY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Hart Co. KY Church & Bible Records
Hart Co. KY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Hart Co. KY General and History Websites
Hart Co. KY Immigration & Naturalization
Hart Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Hart Co. KY Military Records
- Kentucky Military Records (Fold3.com) delivers access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Pennsylvania individuals who served. Perfect for Hart County genealogists, researchers, historians and a lot more.