Harrison County, Kentucky Facts
Harrison County, Kentucky family history and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to assist you to you find your personal Harrison Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Harrison County was established on December 21, 1793 from Bourbon County and Scott County. Currently the county was named in honor of Benjamin Harrison (1726–1791), co-author of the Kentucky Constitution .
Currently the Harrison County Seat is situated in Cynthiana additionally, the county government website is unknown
Locations adjacent to Harrison County happen to be Pendleton County (north), Bracken County (northeast), Robertson County (northeast), Nicholas County (southeast), Bourbon County (southeast), Scott County (southwest), Grant County (northwest).
Cities and towns to be found in Harrison County comprise of Berry, Cynthiana, Leesburg.
Harrison County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1800 (destroyed), 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Harrison Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Harrison Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Harrison Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Harrison Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Harrison County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Harrison County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- The Harrison County Historical Society, P.O. Box 411, Cynthiana KY 41031
- Cynthiana-Harrison County Museum, P.O. Box 411, 112 South Walnut Street, Cynthiana, KY 41031; Hours: Fri.-Sat.: 9-5, by appointment, or by chance!
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Harrison County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Harrison County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Harrison County
- Harrison County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Harrison County
- KYHARRIS. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Harrison County, Kentucky. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- KENTUCKIANA. A mailing list for genealogy research and information exchange in the Indiana counties of Clark, Crawford, Dubois, Floyd, Gibson, Harrison, Orange, Perry, Pike, Posey, Scott, Spencer, Warrick and Washington, and the Kentucky counties of Breckinridge, Bullitt, Carroll, Hardin, Jefferson, Meade, Nelson, Oldham, Shelby, Spencer and Trimble. This is a highly research structured list, chatroom atmosphere is discouraged. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
Harrison County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the advantages of Harrison County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of the many Kentucky citizens.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Harrison County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Please make sure to speak to the clerk's dept to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or inquiring about information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of staff will help people in locating the materials, however it is up to the individual to do the researching.
The following facts indicates what death, marriage, birth, land, probate, and legal records are located in Harrison county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for each county. A fire on 24 Jan 1851 destroyed some records.
- Harrisond County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: 313 Oddville Avenue, Cynthiana, KY, 41031
- Phone: (859) 234-7130
- Marriage Records: 1794
- Land Records: 1794
- Probate Records: 1794
- Harrison County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Harrison County Justice Center, 115 Court St., Suite 1, Cynthiana, KY 41031
- Phone: (859) 234-1914
- Court Records: 1794
- Harrison County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Harrison County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information on Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
Harrison County Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Harrison County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Harrison County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Harrison Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Harrison Co. KY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Harrison Co. KY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Harrison Co. KY Census Records
Harrison Co. KY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Harrison Co. KY Church & Bible Records
Harrison Co. KY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Harrison Co. KY General and History Websites
Harrison Co. KY Immigration & Naturalization
Harrison Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Harrison Co. KY Military Records
- Kentucky Military Records (Fold3.com) delivers access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Pennsylvania individuals who served. Perfect for Harrison County genealogists, researchers, historians and a lot more.