Hancock County, Kentucky Facts
Hancock County, Kentucky family history and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to assist you to you find your personal Hancock Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Hancock County was established on January 3, 1829 from Daviess County, Ohio County and Breckinridge County. Currently the county was named in honor of John Hancock (1737–1793), signer of the Declaration of Independence .
Currently the Hancock County Seat is situated in Hawesville additionally, the county government website is hancockky.us
Locations adjacent to Hancock County happen to be Spencer County, Indiana (northwest), Perry County, Indiana (northeast), Breckinridge County (southeast), Ohio County (south), Daviess County (west).
Cities and towns to be found in Hancock County comprise of Hawesville, Lewisport.
Hancock County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Hancock Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Hancock Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Hancock Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Hancock Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Hancock County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Hancock County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Genealogical Society of Hancock County, P.O. Box 667, Hawesville, Kentucky 42348; (270) 927-8095
- Hancock County Historical Society, Box 605, Hawesville KY 42348
- Hancock County Museum
- Hancock County Archives, P.O. Box 667, Hawesville, Kentucky 42348; (270) 927-8095
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Hancock County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Hancock County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Hancock County
- Hancock County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Hancock County
- Hancock. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Hancock County, Kentucky. You can subscribe from http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hancock/ or by sending the following to email@example.com: subscribe
- KYHANCOC. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Hancock County, Kentucky. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- WEST-CENTRAL-KY. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in West-Central Kentucky, including the counties of Breckinridge, Butler, Daviess, Edmonson, Grayson, Hancock, Hardin, Hart, LaRue, McLean, Meade, and Ohio, which were all derived in large part from Old Hardin County as it was created in 1792. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
Hancock County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the advantages of Hancock County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of the many Kentucky citizens.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Hancock County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Please make sure to speak to the clerk's dept to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or inquiring about information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of staff will help people in locating the materials, however it is up to the individual to do the researching.
The following facts indicates what death, marriage, birth, land, probate, and legal records are located in Hancock County. The dates stated below tend to be the first widely known records in this county.
- Hancock County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: 225 Main Cross St., Hawesville, KY, 42348
- Phone: (270) 927-6117
- Marriage Records: 1829
- Land Records: 1829
- Probate Records: 1820
- Hancock County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Hancock County Judicial Center, 310 Hawesville School Drive, P.O. Box 250, Hawesville, KY 42348-0250
- Phone: (270) 927-8144
- Court Records: 1834
- Hancock County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Hancock County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information on Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
Hancock County Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Hancock County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Hancock County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Hancock Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Hancock Co. KY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Hancock Co. KY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Hancock Co. KY Census Records
Hancock Co. KY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Hancock Co. KY Church & Bible Records
Hancock Co. KY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Hancock Co. KY General and History Websites
Hancock Co. KY Immigration & Naturalization
Hancock Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Hancock Co. KY Military Records
- Kentucky Military Records (Fold3.com) delivers access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Pennsylvania individuals who served. Perfect for Hancock County genealogists, researchers, historians and a lot more.