Graves County, Kentucky Facts
Graves County, Kentucky family history and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to assist you to you find your personal Graves Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Graves County was established on December 19, 1821 from Hickman County. Currently the county was named in honor of Benjamin F. Graves (1771–1813), army major killed at the Battle of Frenchtown.
Currently the Graves County Seat is situated in Mayfield additionally, the county government website is www.gravescounty.ky.gov
Locations adjacent to Graves County happen to be McCracken County (north), Marshall County (northeast), Calloway County (southeast), Henry County, Tennessee (southeast), Weakley County, Tennessee (south), Hickman County (southwest), Carlisle County (northwest).
Cities and towns to be found in Graves County comprise of Dukedom, Mayfield, Water Valley, Wingo, Fancy Farm, Farmington, Symsonia, Lowes, Kaler, West Viola.
Graves County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Graves Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Graves Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Graves Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Graves Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Graves County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Graves County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Graves County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 245, Mayfield, Ky. 42066
- KYGRAVES. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Graves County, Kentucky. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- KYJacksonPurchase. A mailing list for those whose family roots and research trace to the Jackson Purchase area of Western Kentucky, covering the counties of Ballard, Calloway, Carlisle, Fulton, Graves, Hickman, Marshall, and McCracken. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- SWKY-NWTN. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in the counties of southwest Kentucky (Fulton, Graves, Calloway, Trigg, Marshall, Hickman, Carlisle, Lyon, Livingston, Ballard, Caldwell, Crittenden) and northwest Tennessee (Obion, Weakley, Henry, Carroll, Benton, Dyer, Gibson, Humphreys). To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Graves County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Graves County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Graves County
- Graves County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Graves County
Graves County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the advantages of Graves County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of the many Kentucky citizens.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Graves County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Please make sure to speak to the clerk's dept to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or inquiring about information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of staff will help people in locating the materials, however it is up to the individual to do the researching.
The following facts indicates what death, marriage, birth, land, probate, and legal records are located in Graves county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for each county. Fire destroyed courthouse records in 1864 and on 18 Dec 1887.
- Gravesd County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: 101 East South Street, Mayfield, KY, 42066
- Phone: (270) 247-1676
- Marriage Records: 1887
- Land Records: 1887
- Probate Records: 1882
- Graves County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Graves County Courthouse, 100 E. Broadway, Suite 1, Mayfield, KY 42066
- Phone: (270) 247-1733
- Court Records: 1858
- Graves County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Graves County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information on Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
Graves County Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Graves County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Graves County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Graves Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Graves Co. KY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Graves Co. KY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Graves Co. KY Census Records
Graves Co. KY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Graves Co. KY Church & Bible Records
Graves Co. KY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Graves Co. KY General and History Websites
Graves Co. KY Immigration & Naturalization
Graves Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Graves Co. KY Military Records
- Kentucky Military Records (Fold3.com) delivers access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Pennsylvania individuals who served. Perfect for Graves County genealogists, researchers, historians and a lot more.