Garrard County, Kentucky Facts
Garrard County, Kentucky family history and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to assist you to you find your personal Garrard Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Garrard County was established on December 17, 1796 from Madison County, Lincoln County and Mercer County. Currently the county was named in honor of James Garrard, second Governor of Kentucky (1796–1804) .
Currently the Garrard County Seat is situated in Lancaster additionally, the county government website is www.garrardcounty.ky.gov
Locations adjacent to Garrard County happen to be Jessamine County (north), Madison County (northeast), Rockcastle County (southeast), Lincoln County (southwest), Boyle County (west), Mercer County (northwest).
Cities and towns to be found in Garrard County comprise of Lancaster, Bryantsville, Paint Lick, Cartersvile.
Garrard County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1800 (destroyed), 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Garrard Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Garrard Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Garrard Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Garrard Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Garrard County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Garrard County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Garrard County Historical Society, 208 Danville St, Lancaster, Kentucky 40444
- KYGARRAR. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Garrard County, Kentucky. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- CENTRAL-KY. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Central Kentucky including Boyle, Bullitt, Casey, Clark, Estill, Garrard, Hardin, Jackson, Jessamine, LaRue, Lincoln, Marion, Nelson, Russell, Taylor, and Powell Counties. The list also covers any central Kentucky area if the county is unknown. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Garrard County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Garrard County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Garrard County
- Garrard County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Garrard County
Garrard County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the advantages of Garrard County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of the many Kentucky citizens.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Garrard County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Please make sure to speak to the clerk's dept to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or inquiring about information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of staff will help people in locating the materials, however it is up to the individual to do the researching.
The following facts indicates what death, marriage, birth, land, probate, and legal records are located in Garrard County. The dates stated below tend to be the first widely known records in this county.
- Garrard County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: 15 Public Square, Lancaster, KY, 40444
- Phone: (859) 792-3071
- Marriage Records: 1797
- Land Records: 1797
- Probate Records: 1797
- Garrard County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Garrard County Courthouse Annex, 7 Public Square, Lancaster, KY 40444
- Phone: (859) 792-2961
- Court Records: 1797
- Garrard County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Garrard County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information on Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
Garrard County Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Garrard County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Garrard County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Garrard Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Garrard Co. KY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Garrard Co. KY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Garrard Co. KY Census Records
Garrard Co. KY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Garrard Co. KY Church & Bible Records
Garrard Co. KY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Garrard Co. KY General and History Websites
Garrard Co. KY Immigration & Naturalization
Garrard Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Garrard Co. KY Military Records
- Kentucky Military Records (Fold3.com) delivers access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Pennsylvania individuals who served. Perfect for Garrard County genealogists, researchers, historians and a lot more.