Fleming County, Kentucky Facts
Fleming County, Kentucky family history and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to assist you to you find your personal Fleming Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Fleming County was established on February 10, 1798 from Mason County (Fleming County was taken to form Floyd County in 1800 and Rowan County in 1856.). Currently the county was named in honor of John Fleming (1735–1791), frontiersman and one of the county's original settlers .
Currently the Fleming County Seat is situated in Flemingsburg additionally, the county government website is www.flemingcountyky.org
Locations adjacent to Fleming County happen to be Mason County (north), Lewis County (northeast), Rowan County (southeast), Bath County (south), Nicholas County (west), Robertson County (northwest).
Cities and towns to be found in Fleming County comprise of Ewing, Flemingsburg, Nepton.
Fleming County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1800 (destroyed), 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Fleming Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Fleming Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Fleming Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Fleming Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Fleming County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Fleming County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Fleming County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the advantages of Fleming County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of the many Kentucky citizens.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Fleming County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Please make sure to speak to the clerk's dept to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or inquiring about information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of staff will help people in locating the materials, however it is up to the individual to do the researching.
The following facts indicates what death, marriage, birth, land, probate, and legal records are located in Fleming County. The dates stated below tend to be the first widely known records in this county.
- Fleming County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: 100 Court Square, Flemingsburg, KY, 41041
- Phone: (606) 845-8461
- Marriage Records: 1798
- Land Records: 1798
- Probate Records: 1798
- Fleming County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Fleming County Courthouse, 100 Court Square, Flemingsburg, KY 41041
- Phone: (606) 845-7011
- Court Records: 1798
- Fleming County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Fleming County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information on Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
Fleming County Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Fleming County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Fleming County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Fleming Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Fleming Co. KY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Fleming Co. KY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Fleming Co. KY Census Records
Fleming Co. KY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Fleming Co. KY Church & Bible Records
Fleming Co. KY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Fleming Co. KY General and History Websites
Fleming Co. KY Immigration & Naturalization
Fleming Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Fleming Co. KY Military Records
- Kentucky Military Records (Fold3.com) delivers access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Pennsylvania individuals who served. Perfect for Fleming County genealogists, researchers, historians and a lot more.