Clinton County, Kentucky Facts
Clinton County, Kentucky family history and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to assist you to you find your personal Clinton Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Clinton County was established on February 20, 1835 from Wayne County and Cumberland County. Currently the county was named in honor of DeWitt Clinton, Governor of New York (1817–1823) .
Currently the Clinton County Seat is situated in Albany additionally, the county government website is www.clintoncounty.ky.gov
Locations adjacent to Clinton County happen to be Russell County (north), Wayne County (east), Pickett County, Tennessee (southeast), Clay County, Tennessee (southwest), Cumberland County (west).
Cities and towns to be found in Clinton County comprise of Albany.
Clinton County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Clinton Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Clinton Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Clinton Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Clinton Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Clinton County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Clinton County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Clinton County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the advantages of Clinton County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of the many Kentucky citizens.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Clinton County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Please make sure to speak to the clerk's dept to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or inquiring about information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of staff will help people in locating the materials, however it is up to the individual to do the researching.
The following facts indicates what death, marriage, birth, land, probate, and legal records are located in Clinton county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for each county. Most records were lost in a courthouse fire in 1864. Another fire in 1980 destroyed some records.
- Clintond County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: 100 South Cross St., Albany, KY, 42602
- Phone: (606) 387-5258
- Marriage Records: 1852
- Land Records: 1848
- Probate Records: 1863
- Clinton County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Clinton County Courthouse, 100 S. Cross St., Suite 212, Albany, KY 42602
- Phone: (606) 387-6424
- Court Records: 1864
- Clinton County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Clinton County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information on Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
Clinton County Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Clinton County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Clinton County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Clinton Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Clinton Co. KY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Clinton Co. KY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Clinton Co. KY Census Records
Clinton Co. KY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Clinton Co. KY Church & Bible Records
Clinton Co. KY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Clinton Co. KY General and History Websites
Clinton Co. KY Immigration & Naturalization
Clinton Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Clinton Co. KY Military Records
- Kentucky Military Records (Fold3.com) delivers access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Pennsylvania individuals who served. Perfect for Clinton County genealogists, researchers, historians and a lot more.