Carroll County, Kentucky Facts
Carroll County, Kentucky family history and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to assist you to you find your personal Carroll Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Carroll County was established on February 9, 1838 from Gallatin County, Henry County and Trimble County. Currently the county was named in honor of Charles Carroll (1737–1832), last living signer of the Declaration of Independence.
Currently the Carroll County Seat is situated in Carrollton additionally, the county government website is www.carrollcountygov.us
Locations adjacent to Carroll County happen to be Jefferson County, Indiana (north), Switzerland County, Indiana (northeast), Gallatin County (east), Owen County (southeast), Henry County (south), Trimble County (west).
Cities and towns to be found in Carroll County comprise of Carrollton, English, Ghent, Prestonville, Sanders, Worthville.
Carroll County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Carroll Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Carroll Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Carroll Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Carroll Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Carroll County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Carroll County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Port William Historical Society, 311 Park Avenue, Carrollton KY 41008
- KYCARROL. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Carroll County, Kentucky. Interested individuals may want to check out the Carroll County KYGenWeb page. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- KENTUCKIANA. A mailing list for genealogy research and information exchange in the Indiana counties of Clark, Crawford, Dubois, Floyd, Gibson, Harrison, Orange, Perry, Pike, Posey, Scott, Spencer, Warrick and Washington, and the Kentucky counties of Breckinridge, Bullitt, Carroll, Hardin, Jefferson, Meade, Nelson, Oldham, Shelby, Spencer and Trimble. This is a highly research structured list, chatroom atmosphere is discouraged. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- SWKY-NWTN. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in the counties of southwest Kentucky (Fulton, Graves, Calloway, Trigg, Marshall, Hickman, Carlisle, Lyon, Livingston, Ballard, Caldwell, Crittenden) and northwest Tennessee (Obion, Weakley, Henry, Carroll, Benton, Dyer, Gibson, Humphreys). To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Carroll County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Carroll County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Carroll County
- Carroll County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Carroll County
Carroll County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the advantages of Carroll County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of the many Kentucky citizens.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Carroll County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Please make sure to speak to the clerk's dept to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or inquiring about information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of staff will help people in locating the materials, however it is up to the individual to do the researching.
The following facts indicates what death, marriage, birth, land, probate, and legal records are located in Carroll County. The dates stated below tend to be the first widely known records in this county.
- Carroll County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: 440 Main Street, Carrollton, KY, 41008
- Phone: (502) 732-7005
- Marriage Records: 1836
- Land Records: 1795
- Probate Records: 1838
- Carroll County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: William L. Wheeler Hall of Justice, 802 Clay St., Carrollton, KY 41008
- Phone: (502) 732-4305
- Court Records: 1838
- Carroll County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Carroll County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information on Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
Carroll County Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Carroll County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Carroll County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Carroll Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Carroll Co. KY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Carroll Co. KY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Carroll Co. KY Census Records
Carroll Co. KY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Carroll Co. KY Church & Bible Records
Carroll Co. KY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Carroll Co. KY General and History Websites
Carroll Co. KY Immigration & Naturalization
Carroll Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Carroll Co. KY Military Records
- Kentucky Military Records (Fold3.com) delivers access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Pennsylvania individuals who served. Perfect for Carroll County genealogists, researchers, historians and a lot more.