Butler County, Kentucky Facts
Butler County, Kentucky family history and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to assist you to you find your personal Butler Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Butler County was established on January 18, 1810 from Logan County and Ohio County. Currently the county was named in honor of Richard Butler (1743–1791), Revolutionary War general .
Currently the Butler County Seat is situated in Morgantown additionally, the county government website is www.butlercounty.ky.gov
Locations adjacent to Butler County happen to be Ohio County (northwest), Grayson County (northeast), Edmonson County (east), Warren County (southeast), Logan County (south), Muhlenberg County (west).
Cities and towns to be found in Butler County comprise of Morgantown, Rochester, Woodbury.
Butler County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Butler Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Butler Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Butler Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Butler Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Butler County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Butler County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Butler County Historical & Genealogical Society, P O Box 435, Morgantown, KY 42261
- KYBUTLER. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Butler County, Kentucky. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- WEST-CENTRAL-KY. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in West-Central Kentucky, including the counties of Breckinridge, Butler, Daviess, Edmonson, Grayson, Hancock, Hardin, Hart, LaRue, McLean, Meade, and Ohio, which were all derived in large part from Old Hardin County as it was created in 1792. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Butler County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Butler County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Butler County
- Butler County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Butler County
Butler County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the advantages of Butler County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of the many Kentucky citizens.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Butler County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Please make sure to speak to the clerk's dept to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or inquiring about information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of staff will help people in locating the materials, however it is up to the individual to do the researching.
The following facts indicates what death, marriage, birth, land, probate, and legal records are located in Butler county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for each county. The courthouse was burned in 1872.
- Butlerd County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: 110 N. Main St., Morgantown, KY, 42261
- Phone: (270) 526-5676
- Marriage Records: 1810
- Land Records: 1810
- Probate Records: 1810
- Butler County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Butler County Courthouse, 110 North Main St., P.O. Box 625, Morgantown, KY 42261-0625
- Phone: (270) 526-5631
- Court Records: 1811
- Butler County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Butler County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information on Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
Butler County Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Butler County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Butler County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Butler Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Butler Co. KY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Butler Co. KY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Butler Co. KY Census Records
Butler Co. KY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Butler Co. KY Church & Bible Records
Butler Co. KY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Butler Co. KY General and History Websites
Butler Co. KY Immigration & Naturalization
Butler Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Butler Co. KY Military Records
- Kentucky Military Records (Fold3.com) delivers access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Pennsylvania individuals who served. Perfect for Butler County genealogists, researchers, historians and a lot more.