Boyd County, Kentucky Facts
Boyd County, Kentucky family history and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to assist you to you find your personal Boyd Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Boyd County was established on February 16, 1860 from Carter County, Lawrence County and Greenup County. Currently the county was named in honor of Linn Boyd, United States Congressman (1835–1837; 1839–1855) and Lieutenant Governor of Kentucky (1859) .
Currently the Boyd County Seat is situated in Catlettsburg additionally, the county government website is www.boydcountyky.net
Locations adjacent to Boyd County happen to be Greenup County (northwest), Lawrence County, Ohio (northeast), Wayne County, West Virginia (east), Lawrence County (south), Carter County (west).
Cities and towns to be found in Boyd County comprise of Ashland, Cannonsburg, Catlettsburg, Coalton, Ironville, Meads, Princess, Rockdale, Rush, Summit, Westwood.
Boyd County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Boyd Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1860. Boyd Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Boyd Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Boyd Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Boyd County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Boyd County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Eastern KY Genealogical Society, Box 1544, Ashland, KY 41105-1544; Dues are $10.00 per yr. Publication TreeShaker quarterly
- Boyd County Public Library, Minnie Crawford Winder Room, 1740 Central Avenue, Ashland, KY 41101
- KYBOYD. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Boyd County, Kentucky. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- EASTERNKENTUCKY. A mailing list for all researchers who's ancestors settled in or traveled through the state of Kentucky. Some of the counties covered are Bell, Boyd, Breathitt, Carter, Clay, Elliot, Estill, Floyd, Greenup, Harlan, Jackson, Johnson, Knott, Knox, Laurel, Lawrence, Lee, Leslie, Letcher, Lewis, Magoffin, Morgan, Owsley, Perry, Pike, Powell, Rowan, Whitley, Wolfe, and adjacent counties that represent the East Kentucky Coalfields. Additional information can be found on the East Kentucky Genealogy website. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Boyd County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Boyd County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Boyd County
- Boyd County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Boyd County
Boyd County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the advantages of Boyd County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of the many Kentucky citizens.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Boyd County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Please make sure to speak to the clerk's dept to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or inquiring about information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of staff will help people in locating the materials, however it is up to the individual to do the researching.
The following facts indicates what death, marriage, birth, land, probate, and legal records are located in Boyd County. The dates stated below tend to be the first widely known records in this county.
- Boyd County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: 2800 Louisa Ave, Catlettsburg, KY, 41129
- Phone: (606) 739-5116
- Marriage Records: 1860
- Land Records: 1860
- Probate Records: 1860
- Boyd County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Boyd County Judicial Center, 2800 Louisa St., P.O. Box 688, Catlettsburg, KY 41129-0688
- Phone: (606) 739-4131
- Court Records: 1860
- Boyd County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Boyd County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information on Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
Boyd County Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Boyd County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Boyd County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Boyd Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Boyd Co. KY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Boyd Co. KY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Boyd Co. KY Census Records
Boyd Co. KY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Boyd Co. KY Church & Bible Records
Boyd Co. KY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Boyd Co. KY General and History Websites
Boyd Co. KY Immigration & Naturalization
Boyd Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Boyd Co. KY Military Records
- Kentucky Military Records (Fold3.com) delivers access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Pennsylvania individuals who served. Perfect for Boyd County genealogists, researchers, historians and a lot more.