Bourbon County, Kentucky Facts
Bourbon County, Kentucky family history and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to assist you to you find your personal Bourbon Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Bourbon County was established on October 17, 1785 from Fayette County. Currently the county was named for the House of Bourbon, European royal house.
Currently the Bourbon County Seat is situated in Paris additionally, the county government website is www.parisky.com
Locations adjacent to Bourbon County happen to be Harrison County (northwest), Nicholas County (northeast), Bath County (east), Montgomery County (southeast), Clark County (south), Fayette County (southwest), Scott County (west).
Cities and towns to be found in Bourbon County comprise of Millersburg, North Middletown, Paris.
Bourbon County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1790, 1800 (destroyed), 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Bourbon Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Bourbon Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Bourbon Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Bourbon Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Bourbon County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Bourbon County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Bourbon County Genealogical Society (dissolved in 2010.)
- John Fox Jr. Memorial Library, Duncan Tavern Historical Center, 323 High Street, Paris, KY 40361; (859) 987-1788
- Paris-Bourbon County Public Library
- KYBOURBO. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Bourbon County, Kentucky. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- RUDDLESFORT. A mailing list a discussion group for interested historians, genealogists, and descendants of the survivors of the destruction of Ruddle's and Martin's Forts in pre-Bourbon County, Kentucky (Virginia) during the Revolutionary War. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Bourbon County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Bourbon County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Bourbon County
- Bourbon County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Bourbon County
Bourbon County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the advantages of Bourbon County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of the many Kentucky citizens.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Bourbon County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Please make sure to speak to the clerk's dept to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or inquiring about information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of staff will help people in locating the materials, however it is up to the individual to do the researching.
The following facts indicates what death, marriage, birth, land, probate, and legal records are located in Bourbon county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for each county. Some records were lost in a fire on 8 May 1872.
- Bourbond County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: 301 Main St., Paris, KY, 40361
- Phone: (859) 987-2142
- Marriage Records: 1786
- Land Records: 1786
- Probate Records: 1786
- Bourbon County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Bourbon County Judicial Center, 310 Main St., P.O. Box 740, Paris, KY 40362-0740
- Phone: (859) 987-2624
- Court Records: 1780
- Bourbon County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Bourbon County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information on Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
Bourbon County Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Bourbon County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Bourbon County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Bourbon Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Bourbon Co. KY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Bourbon Co. KY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Bourbon Co. KY Census Records
Bourbon Co. KY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Bourbon Co. KY Church & Bible Records
Bourbon Co. KY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Bourbon Co. KY General and History Websites
Bourbon Co. KY Immigration & Naturalization
Bourbon Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Bourbon Co. KY Military Records
- Kentucky Military Records (Fold3.com) delivers access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Pennsylvania individuals who served. Perfect for Bourbon County genealogists, researchers, historians and a lot more.