Stafford County, Kansas Facts
Stafford County, Kansas genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to aid you trace your own Stafford Co., ancestors. Begin by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Stafford County was established on February 26, 1867 (Organized on 1879) from Unorganized Territory. The county was named in honor of Capt. Lewis Stafford of Co. E, First Kansas Infantry, who was accidentally killed at Young's Point, La., on 31 Jan 1863.
Currently the Stafford County Seat is located in Saint John and the county government website is http://staffordcounty.org
Places next to Stafford County are Barton County (north), Rice County (northeast), Reno County (east), Pratt County (south), Edwards County (west), Pawnee County (west).
Cities and towns situated in Stafford County consist of St. John, Stafford, Macksville, Hudson, Seward, Radium.
Stafford County consists of Federal Census Schedules to help in looking into your family tree. Federal government Population Schedules can be found for 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Stafford Co. Mortality Schedules is available for 1880. Stafford Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1880. Stafford Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. You'll find free down-loadable not to mention printable census forms to help you with your research.
Stafford County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Stafford County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Stafford County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often forget the advantages of Stafford County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Kansas courthouses and archives everywhere could be the dreams and frustrations of the many Kansas citizens.
The possibilities are excellent that your particular ancestors and forefathers have left a detailed record of at least quite a few elements of their lives in the Stafford County court records. Even if your forebears is not mentioned in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other methods that could have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Please call the clerk's department to validate hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or requesting information because of many times changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The majority of employees will assist men and women in finding the materials, but it is up to the man or women to do the basic research.
The below specifics denotes what birth, death, marriage, property, wills, and court records are in Stafford County. The years stated listed below could be the first recognized records data in this county.
- Stafford County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted) is located at 209 N Broadway, Saint John, KS 67576; Phone: (620) 549-3509.
- Stafford County Clerks Office has Birth Records from 1886-93, Marriage Records from 1879 and Death Records from 1886-89. The Register of Deeds shall have custody of and safely keep and preserve all the books, records, deeds, maps, papers and microphotographs deposited or kept in the office of the Register of Deeds. The Register of Deeds shall also record or cause to be recorded all deeds, mortgages, maps, instruments and writings authorized by law to be recorded in the office of the Register of Deeds and shall perform all other duties as are required by law.
- Stafford County Register of Deeds Office has Land Records from 1879. The Register of Deeds shall have custody of and safely keep and preserve all the books, records, deeds, maps, papers and microphotographs deposited or kept in the office of the Register of Deeds. The Register of Deeds shall also record or cause to be recorded all deeds, mortgages, maps, instruments and writings authorized by law to be recorded in the office of the Register of Deeds and shall perform all other duties as are required by law.
- Stafford County Clerk of District Court has Probate Records from 1879 and Court Records from 1879. The Clerk of Court is part of the Judicial Branch of local government and as such is required to maintain a record of all documents filed with the courts, keep a record of all court proceedings, and collect various fines and forfeitures ordered by the court and specified by statute.
- Stafford County Treasurers Office by Kansas State law is responsible for the tax billing, collection and distribution of tax money for the State, County, Cities and all other taxing entities that levy Ad Valorem and/or special assessment taxes. For the most part, tax records remain at the local level. Assessment and tax rolls are kept, permanently, by the County Treasurer's office.
- Kansas Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Kansas for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Stafford County Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Stafford County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is simply a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own most liked Stafford County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Stafford Co. KS Books, Newspapers & Publications
Stafford Co. KS Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Stafford Co. KS Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Stafford Co. KS Census Records
Stafford Co. KS Cemeteries & Graveyards
Stafford Co. KS Church & Bible Records
Stafford Co. KS Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Stafford Co. KS General and History Websites
Stafford Co. KS Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Stafford Co. KS Military Records
- 1883 List of Pensioners on the Roll (skyways.lib.ks.us) Veterans or widows of veterans living in Stafford Co. KS who have applied for a Pension
- Kansas Military Records (fold3.com) gives you access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Kansas both males and females that served. Perfect for Stafford County genealogists, researchers, historians and more.
Stafford Co. KS Schools & Directories