Reno County, Kansas Facts
Reno County, Kansas genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to aid you trace your own Reno Co., ancestors. Begin by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Reno County was established on February 26, 1867 (Organized on 1872) from Peketon Territory. The county was named in honor of Gen. Jesse L. Reno (1823-1862). Commander of the Union 9th Army Corps, he was killed at the Battle of South Mountain (Maryland) on 14 Sept 1862..
Currently the Reno County Seat is located in Hutchinson and the county government website is http://www.renogov.org
Places next to Reno County are Rice County (north), McPherson County (northeast), Harvey County (east), Sedgwick County (southeast), Kingman County (south), Pratt County (southwest), Stafford County (west).
Cities and towns situated in Reno County consist of Hutchinson, South Hutchinson, Buhler, Haven, Nickerson, Pretty Prairie, Arlington, Turon, Sylvia, Partridge, Abbyville, Plevna, Willowbrook, Langdon.
Reno County consists of Federal Census Schedules to help in looking into your family tree. Federal government Population Schedules can be found for 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Reno Co. Mortality Schedules is available for 1880. Reno Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1880. Reno Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. You'll find free down-loadable not to mention printable census forms to help you with your research.
Reno County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Reno County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Reno County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often forget the advantages of Reno County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Kansas courthouses and archives everywhere could be the dreams and frustrations of the many Kansas citizens.
The possibilities are excellent that your particular ancestors and forefathers have left a detailed record of at least quite a few elements of their lives in the Reno County court records. Even if your forebears is not mentioned in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other methods that could have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Please call the clerk's department to validate hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or requesting information because of many times changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The majority of employees will assist men and women in finding the materials, but it is up to the man or women to do the basic research.
The below specifics denotes what birth, death, marriage, property, wills, and court records are in Reno County. The years stated listed below could be the first recognized records data in this county.
- Reno County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted) is located at 206 W 1st Avenue, Hutchinson, KS 67501-5204; Phone: (620) 694-2929.
- Reno County Clerks Office has Birth Records from 1890-1911, Marriage Records from 1872 and Death Records from 1890-1911. The Register of Deeds shall have custody of and safely keep and preserve all the books, records, deeds, maps, papers and microphotographs deposited or kept in the office of the Register of Deeds. The Register of Deeds shall also record or cause to be recorded all deeds, mortgages, maps, instruments and writings authorized by law to be recorded in the office of the Register of Deeds and shall perform all other duties as are required by law.
- Reno County Register of Deeds Office has Land Records from 1870. The Register of Deeds shall have custody of and safely keep and preserve all the books, records, deeds, maps, papers and microphotographs deposited or kept in the office of the Register of Deeds. The Register of Deeds shall also record or cause to be recorded all deeds, mortgages, maps, instruments and writings authorized by law to be recorded in the office of the Register of Deeds and shall perform all other duties as are required by law.
- Reno County Clerk of District Court has Probate Records from 1873 and Court Records from 1871. The Clerk of Court is part of the Judicial Branch of local government and as such is required to maintain a record of all documents filed with the courts, keep a record of all court proceedings, and collect various fines and forfeitures ordered by the court and specified by statute.
- Reno County Treasurers Office by Kansas State law is responsible for the tax billing, collection and distribution of tax money for the State, County, Cities and all other taxing entities that levy Ad Valorem and/or special assessment taxes. For the most part, tax records remain at the local level. Assessment and tax rolls are kept, permanently, by the County Treasurer's office.
- Kansas Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Kansas for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Reno County Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Reno County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is simply a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own most liked Reno County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Reno Co. KS Books, Newspapers & Publications
Reno Co. KS Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Reno Co. KS Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Reno Co. KS Census Records
Reno Co. KS Cemeteries & Graveyards
Reno Co. KS Church & Bible Records
Reno Co. KS Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Reno Co. KS General and History Websites
Reno Co. KS Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Reno Co. KS Military Records
- 1883 List of Pensioners on the Roll (skyways.lib.ks.us) Veterans or widows of veterans living in Reno Co. KS who have applied for a Pension
- Kansas Military Records (fold3.com) gives you access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Kansas both males and females that served. Perfect for Reno County genealogists, researchers, historians and more.
Reno Co. KS Schools & Directories