Graham County, Kansas Facts
Graham County, Kansas genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to aid you trace your own Graham Co., ancestors. Begin by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Graham County was established on February 26, 1867 (Organized in 1880) from Unorganized Territory. The county was named in honor of Capt. John L. Graham, of Co. D, Eighth Kansas Infantry, who was killed in action at the Battle of Chickamauga on 19 Sept. 1863..
Currently the Graham County Seat is located in Hill City and the county government website is http://www.grahamcountyks.com/
Places next to Graham County are Norton County (north), Phillips County (northeast), Rooks County (east), Trego County (south), Gove County (southwest), Sheridan County (west).
Cities and towns situated in Graham County consist of Bogue, Hill City, Morland, Penokee.
Graham County consists of Federal Census Schedules to help in looking into your family tree. Federal government Population Schedules can be found for 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Graham Co. Mortality Schedules is available for 1880. Graham Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1880. Graham Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. You'll find free down-loadable not to mention printable census forms to help you with your research.
Graham County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Graham County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Graham County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often forget the advantages of Graham County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Kansas courthouses and archives everywhere could be the dreams and frustrations of the many Kansas citizens.
The possibilities are excellent that your particular ancestors and forefathers have left a detailed record of at least quite a few elements of their lives in the Graham County court records. Even if your forebears is not mentioned in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other methods that could have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Please call the clerk's department to validate hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or requesting information because of many times changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The majority of employees will assist men and women in finding the materials, but it is up to the man or women to do the basic research.
The below specifics denotes what birth, death, marriage, property, wills, and court records are in Graham County. The years stated listed below could be the first recognized records data in this county.
- Graham County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted) is located at 410 N. Pomeroy Street, Hill City, KS 67642-1649; Phone: (785) 421-3453.
- Graham County Clerks Office has Birth Records from 1892-1904; 1910-11, Marriage Records from 1880 and Death Records from 1892-1904; 1910-11 (Incomplete. Records extant for 1892—1904 and 1910—11 only.). The Register of Deeds shall have custody of and safely keep and preserve all the books, records, deeds, maps, papers and microphotographs deposited or kept in the office of the Register of Deeds. The Register of Deeds shall also record or cause to be recorded all deeds, mortgages, maps, instruments and writings authorized by law to be recorded in the office of the Register of Deeds and shall perform all other duties as are required by law.
- Graham County Register of Deeds Office has Land Records from 1880. The Register of Deeds shall have custody of and safely keep and preserve all the books, records, deeds, maps, papers and microphotographs deposited or kept in the office of the Register of Deeds. The Register of Deeds shall also record or cause to be recorded all deeds, mortgages, maps, instruments and writings authorized by law to be recorded in the office of the Register of Deeds and shall perform all other duties as are required by law.
- Graham County Clerk of District Court has Probate Records from 1880 and Court Records from 1880. The Clerk of Court is part of the Judicial Branch of local government and as such is required to maintain a record of all documents filed with the courts, keep a record of all court proceedings, and collect various fines and forfeitures ordered by the court and specified by statute.
- Graham County Treasurers Office by Kansas State law is responsible for the tax billing, collection and distribution of tax money for the State, County, Cities and all other taxing entities that levy Ad Valorem and/or special assessment taxes. For the most part, tax records remain at the local level. Assessment and tax rolls are kept, permanently, by the County Treasurer's office.
- Kansas Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Kansas for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Graham County Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Graham County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is simply a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own most liked Graham County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Graham Co. KS Books, Newspapers & Publications
Graham Co. KS Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Graham Co. KS Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Graham Co. KS Census Records
Graham Co. KS Cemeteries & Graveyards
Graham Co. KS Church & Bible Records
Graham Co. KS Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Graham Co. KS General and History Websites
Graham Co. KS Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Graham Co. KS Military Records
- 1883 List of Pensioners on the Roll (skyways.lib.ks.us) Veterans or widows of veterans living in Graham Co. KS who have applied for a Pension
- Kansas Military Records (fold3.com) gives you access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Kansas both males and females that served. Perfect for Graham County genealogists, researchers, historians and more.
Graham Co. KS Schools & Directories