Whitley County, Indiana Facts
Whitley County, Indiana family history and genealogy research page. Locate links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you track your own Whitley Co., ancestors. Start now by building a Free Family Tree.
Whitley County Facts
- Government Website: whitleygov.com/
- Created Date / Origin: January 29, 1839 from Unorganized Land (became effective April 1, 1839)
- County Seat: Columbia City
- Named After: Col. William Whitley, hero of the Battle of Tippecanoe
- Bordering Counties: Noble County (north), Allen County (east), Huntington County (south), Wabash County (southwest), Kosciusko County (west)
- Cities, Towns & Communities: Churubusco, Columbia City, Larwill, South Whitley
- Townships: Cleveland, Columbia, Etna-Troy, Jefferson, Richland, Smith, Thorncreek, Union, Washington
Whitley County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Whitley County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Indiana State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Whitley County Historian, Jeanette Brown, 403 Blue River Court, Columbia City, IN 46725-1502; Home Phone: (260) 244-7421, Office Phone: (260) 244-6372
- Genealogical Society of Whitley County, P.O. Box 224, Columbia City, IN 46725-0224
- Whitley County Historical Society, 108 W. Jefferson St., Columbia City, IN 46725-1744; Phone: (260) 244-6372
- Whitley County, Indiana Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Whitley County
- Whitley County, Indiana Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Whitley County
- USGenWeb Archives for Whitley County
Whitley County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically overlook the importance of Whitley County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Indiana courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the desires and frustrations of many Indiana inhabitants.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the Whitley County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, consider all of the other methods which may have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
You need to speak to the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other facts in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. The majority of staff will assist people in obtaining the materials, but it is up to the person to do the research.
The below details shows what birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and legal records are typically in Whitley County. The dates indicated listed below are the first widely known records for this particular county.
- Whitley County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 101 West Van Buren Street, Columbia City, IN 46725
- Whitley County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court's permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses,
processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings. The County Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
- Phone: (260) 248-3102
- Marriage Records: 1838
- Probate Records: 1839
- Court Records: 1882
- Whitley County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Address: 220 W. VanBuren Street, Suite 206, Columbia City, IN 46725
- Phone: 260-248-3106
- Land Records: 1813
- Whitley County Treasurer's Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper's tax.
- Whitley County Department of Health maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records
Whitley County Links
The following are links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relevant to Whitley County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a directory which has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own most liked Whitley County genealogy or family history related sites.
Whitley Co. IN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Whitley Co. IN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Whitley Co. IN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Whitley Co. IN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Whitley Co. IN Census Records
Whitley Co. IN Cemeteries & Graveyards
Whitley Co. IN Church & Bible Records
Whitley Co. IN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Whitley Co. IN General and History Websites
Whitley Co. IN Military Records
- Indiana Military Records (fold3.com) offers easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Indiana both women and men which served. Perfect for Whitley County genealogists, researchers, historians and much more.