Wabash County, Indiana Facts
Wabash County, Indiana family history and genealogy research page. Locate links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you track your own Wabash Co., ancestors. Start now by building a Free Family Tree.
Wabash County Facts
- Government Website: gov.wabash.in.datapitstop.us/
- Created Date / Origin: March 1, 1835 from Adams New Purchase and Unorganized Land
- County Seat: Wabash
- Named After: The Wabash River
- Bordering Counties: Kosciusko County (north), Whitley County (northeast), Huntington County (east), Grant County (south), Miami County (west), Fulton County (northwest)
- Cities, Towns & Communities: La Fontaine, Lagro, Liberty Mills, North Manchester, Roann, Wabash
- Townships: Chester, Lagro, Liberty, Noble, Paw Paw, Pleasant, Waltz
Wabash County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Wabash County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Indiana State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Wabash County Historian, Ronald L. Woodward, 574 Ferry St., Wabash, IN 46992-2306, Home Phone: (260) 563-2794, email@example.com
- North Manchester Center for History, P.O. Box 361, North Manchester, IN 46962-0361; Phone: (260) 982-0672
- Wabash County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 825, Wabash, IN 46992-0825
- Wabash County Historical Society, P.O. Box 4, Wabash, IN 46992-0004
- Wabash Valley Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 9347, Terre Haute, IN 47808-9347; Phone: (812) 894-2404
- Wabash County Historical Museum, 36 E. Market St., Wabash, IN 46992-3124; Phone: (260) 563-9070
- Wabash County, Indiana Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Wabash County
- Wabash County, Indiana Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Wabash County
- USGenWeb Archives for Wabash County
Wabash County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically overlook the importance of Wabash County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Indiana courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the desires and frustrations of many Indiana inhabitants.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the Wabash County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, consider all of the other methods which may have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
You need to speak to the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other facts in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. The majority of staff will assist people in obtaining the materials, but it is up to the person to do the research.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Wabash county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for this county which may include records of land, estates, taxes, vital records, divorces, naturalizations, court records, and so forth. Courthouse destroyed by Fire in Apr. 1870, Saved: treasurer's, auditor's, recorder's and clerk's records.
- Wabash County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Wabash County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court's permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses,
processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings. The County Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
- Address: 69 W Hill St, Wabash, IN 46992
- Phone: (260) 563-0661
- Marriage Records: 1835
- Probate Records: 1847
- Court Records: ?
- Wabash County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Address: 1 W Hill St Ste 105, Wabash, IN 46992
- Phone: (260) 563-0661 ext: 253
- Land Records: 1835
- Wabash County Treasurer's Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper's tax.
- Wabash County Department of Health maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records
Wabash County Links
The following are links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relevant to Wabash County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a directory which has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own most liked Wabash County genealogy or family history related sites.
Wabash Co. IN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Wabash Co. IN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Wabash Co. IN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Wabash Co. IN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Wabash Co. IN Census Records
Wabash Co. IN Cemeteries & Graveyards
Wabash Co. IN Church & Bible Records
Wabash Co. IN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Wabash Co. IN General and History Websites
Wabash Co. IN Military Records
- Indiana Military Records (fold3.com) offers easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Indiana both women and men which served. Perfect for Wabash County genealogists, researchers, historians and much more.