Vigo County, Indiana Facts
Vigo County, Indiana family history and genealogy research page. Locate links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you track your own Vigo Co., ancestors. Start now by building a Free Family Tree.
Vigo County Facts
- Government Website: www.vigocounty.in.gov/
- Created Date / Origin: March 21, 1818 from Sullivan County (becoming effective February 15, 1818)
- County Seat: Terre Haute
- Named After: Francis Vigo, Italian-born colonial spy during the American Revolutionary War
- Bordering Counties: Vermillion County (north), Parke County (northeast), Clay County (east), Sullivan County (south), Clark County, IL (southwest), Edgar County, IL (northwest)
- Cities, Towns & Communities: Terre Haute, West Terre Haute, Seelyville, Riley
- Townships: Fayette, Harrison, Honey Creek, Linton, Lost Creek, Nevins, Otter Creek, Pierson, Prairie Creek, Prairieton, Riley and Sugar Creek
Vigo County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Vigo County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Indiana State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Vigo County Historian, Brian M. McCormick, 236 McKinley Blvd., Terre Haute, IN 47803-1914; Home Phone: (812) 232-2034, Work Phone: (812) 232-3800
- Vigo County Historical Society, 1411 S. 6th St., Terre Haute, IN 47802-1114; Phone: (812) 235-9717
- Wabash Valley Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 9347, Terre Haute, IN 47808-9347; Phone: (812) 894-2404
- Vigo County, Indiana Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Vigo County
- Vigo County, Indiana Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Vigo County
- USGenWeb Archives for Vigo County
Vigo County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically overlook the importance of Vigo County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Indiana courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the desires and frustrations of many Indiana inhabitants.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the Vigo County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, consider all of the other methods which may have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
You need to speak to the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other facts in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. The majority of staff will assist people in obtaining the materials, but it is up to the person to do the research.
The below details shows what birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and legal records are typically in Vigo County. The dates indicated listed below are the first widely known records for this particular county.
- Vigo County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 33 South 3rd Street, Terre Haute IN 47807
- Vigo County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court's permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses,
processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings. The County Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
- Phone: 812-462-3211
- Marriage Records: 1818
- Probate Records: 1818
- Court Records: ?
- Vigo County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Address: 199 Oak Street, Terre Haute, IN 47807
- Phone: 812-462-3301
- Land Records: 1816
- Vigo County Treasurer's Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper's tax.
- Vigo County Department of Health maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records
Vigo County Links
The following are links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relevant to Vigo County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a directory which has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own most liked Vigo County genealogy or family history related sites.
Vigo Co. IN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Vigo Co. IN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Vigo Co. IN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Vigo Co. IN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Vigo Co. IN Census Records
Vigo Co. IN Cemeteries & Graveyards
Vigo Co. IN Church & Bible Records
Vigo Co. IN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Vigo Co. IN General and History Websites
Vigo Co. IN Military Records
- Indiana Military Records (fold3.com) offers easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Indiana both women and men which served. Perfect for Vigo County genealogists, researchers, historians and much more.
Vigo Co. IN Schools & Directories