Vermillion County, Indiana Facts
Vermillion County, Indiana family history and genealogy research page. Locate links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you track your own Vermillion Co., ancestors. Start now by building a Free Family Tree.
Vermillion County Facts
- Government Website: www.vermilliongov.us
- Created Date / Origin: January 2, 1824 from Parke County, Unorganized Land and Wabash New Purchase
- County Seat: Newport
- Named After: The Vermillion River
- Bordering Counties: Warren County (north), Fountain County (northeast), Parke County (east), Vigo County (south), Edgar County, IL (southwest), Vermilion County, IL (northwest)
- Cities, Towns & Communities: Cayuga, Clinton, Fairview Park , Dana, Newport, Perrysville, Universal
- Townships: Clinton, Helt, Highland, Vermillion, Eugene
Vermillion County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Vermillion County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Indiana State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Vermillion County Historian, Eliza Porter, 3218 N. State Road 63, Cayuga, IN 47928-8155; Home Phone: (765) 492-9187
- Vermillion County Historical Society, 220 E Market St , P.O. Box 273, Newport, IN 47966-0273
- Vermillion County, Indiana Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Vermillion County
- Vermillion County, Indiana Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Vermillion County
- USGenWeb Archives for Vermillion County
Vermillion County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically overlook the importance of Vermillion County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Indiana courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the desires and frustrations of many Indiana inhabitants.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the Vermillion County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, consider all of the other methods which may have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
You need to speak to the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other facts in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. The majority of staff will assist people in obtaining the materials, but it is up to the person to do the research.
The below details shows what birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and legal records are typically in Vermillion County. The dates indicated listed below are the first widely known records for this particular county. Courthouse destroyed by Fire in Jan. 1844, and on January 5, 1866. At neither time were the records lost.
- Vermillion County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 255 South Main, Newport, IN 47966
- Vermillion County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court's permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses,
processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings. The County Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
- Phone: (765) 492-3500
- Marriage Records: 1824
- Probate Records: ?
- Court Records: ?
- Vermillion County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Phone: (765) 492-5380
- Land Records: ?
- Vermillion County Treasurer's Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper's tax.
- Vermillion County Department of Health maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records
Vermillion County Links
The following are links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relevant to Vermillion County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a directory which has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own most liked Vermillion County genealogy or family history related sites.
Vermillion Co. IN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Vermillion Co. IN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Vermillion Co. IN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Vermillion Co. IN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Vermillion Co. IN Census Records
Vermillion Co. IN Cemeteries & Graveyards
Vermillion Co. IN Church & Bible Records
Vermillion Co. IN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Vermillion Co. IN General and History Websites
Vermillion Co. IN Military Records
Vermillion Co. IN Schools & Directories