Tippecanoe County, Indiana Facts
Tippecanoe County, Indiana family history and genealogy research page. Locate links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you track your own Tippecanoe Co., ancestors. Start now by building a Free Family Tree.
Tippecanoe County Facts
- Government Website: www.county.tippecanoe.in.us/
- Created Date / Origin: March 1, 1826 from Wabash New Purchase and Unorganized Land
- County Seat: Lafayette
- Named After: The Tippecanoe River and the Battle of Tippecanoe
- Bordering Counties: White County (north), Carroll County (northeast), Clinton County (east), Montgomery County (south), Fountain County (southwest), Warren County (west), Benton County (northwest)
- Cities, Towns & Communities: Battle Ground, Clarks Hill, Dayton, Lafayette, Shadeland, Otterbein, West Lafayette
- Townships: Fairfield, Jackson, Lauramie, Perry, Randolph, Sheffield, Shelby, Tippecanoe, Union, Wabash, Washington, Wayne, Wea
Tippecanoe County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Tippecanoe County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Indiana State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Tippecanoe County Area Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 2464, West Lafayette, IN 47996-2464; Phone: (765) 463-2393
- Tippecanoe County Historical Association, 1001 South St., Lafayette, IN 47901-1425; Phone: (765) 476-8411
- Shelby Township Historical Association, 7537 U.S. Highway 52 W., West Lafayette, IN 47906-8533; Phone: (765) 583-2165
- Tippecanoe County, Indiana Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Tippecanoe County
- Tippecanoe County, Indiana Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Tippecanoe County
- USGenWeb Archives for Tippecanoe County
Tippecanoe County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically overlook the importance of Tippecanoe County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Indiana courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the desires and frustrations of many Indiana inhabitants.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the Tippecanoe County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, consider all of the other methods which may have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
You need to speak to the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other facts in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. The majority of staff will assist people in obtaining the materials, but it is up to the person to do the research.
The below details shows what birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and legal records are typically in Tippecanoe County. The dates indicated listed below are the first widely known records for this particular county.
- Tippecanoe County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 301 Main Street, Lafayette, IN 47901
- Tippecanoe County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court's permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses,
processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings. The County Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
- Phone: 765-423-9326
- Marriage Records: 1826
- Probate Records: 1825
- Court Records: 1827
- Tippecanoe County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Address: 20 North 3rd Street, Lafayette, IN 47901
- Phone: 765-423-9352
- Land Records: 1826
- Tippecanoe County Treasurer's Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper's tax.
- Tippecanoe County Department of Health maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records
Tippecanoe County Links
The following are links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relevant to Tippecanoe County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a directory which has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own most liked Tippecanoe County genealogy or family history related sites.
Tippecanoe Co. IN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Tippecanoe Co. IN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Tippecanoe Co. IN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Tippecanoe Co. IN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Tippecanoe Co. IN Census Records
Tippecanoe Co. IN Cemeteries & Graveyards
Tippecanoe Co. IN Church & Bible Records
Tippecanoe Co. IN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Tippecanoe Co. IN General and History Websites
Tippecanoe Co. IN Military Records
- Indiana Military Records (fold3.com) offers easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Indiana both women and men which served. Perfect for Tippecanoe County genealogists, researchers, historians and much more.
Tippecanoe Co. IN Schools & Directories