Steuben County, Indiana Facts
Steuben County, Indiana family history and genealogy research page. Locate links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you track your own Steuben Co., ancestors. Start now by building a Free Family Tree.
Steuben County Facts
- Government Website: www.steubencounty.com/
- Created Date / Origin: May 1, 1837 from Unorganized Land
- County Seat: Angola
- Named After: Baron Frederick von Steuben, Prussian-born noble who trained colonial soldiers during the American Revolutionary War
- Bordering Counties: Branch County, MI (north), Hillsdale County, MI (northeast), Williams County, OH (east), DeKalb County (south), Noble County (southwest), LaGrange County (west)
- Cities, Towns & Communities: Angola, Ashley, Clear Lake, Fremont, Hamilton, Hudson, Orland
- Townships: Clear Lake, Fremont, Jackson, Jamestown, Millgrove, Otsego, Pleasant, Richland, Salem, Scott, Steuben, York
Steuben County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Steuben County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Indiana State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Steuben County Historian, Margaret A. Dilbone, P.O. Box 232, Fremont, IN 46737-0232; Home Phone: (260) 495-9852
- Steuben County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 884, Angola, IN 46703-0884
- Steuben County Historical Society, P.O. Box 860, Angola, IN 46703-0860
- Fremont Historical Society, P.O. Box 509, Fremont, IN 46737-0509; Phone: (260) 495-4711
- Steuben County, Indiana Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Steuben County
- Steuben County, Indiana Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Steuben County
- USGenWeb Archives for Steuben County
Steuben County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically overlook the importance of Steuben County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Indiana courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the desires and frustrations of many Indiana inhabitants.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the Steuben County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, consider all of the other methods which may have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
You need to speak to the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other facts in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. The majority of staff will assist people in obtaining the materials, but it is up to the person to do the research.
The below details shows what birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and legal records are typically in Steuben County. The dates indicated listed below are the first widely known records for this particular county.
- Steuben County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 317 South Wayne Street, Angola, IN 46703
- Steuben County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court's permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses,
processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings. The County Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
- Address: 55 S. Public Sq., Angola, IN 46703-1900
- Phone: (260) 668-1000 Ext 2240
- Marriage Records: 1832
- Probate Records: 1845
- Court Records: ?
- Steuben County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Phone: (260) 668-1000, ext 1700
- Land Records: 1836
- Steuben County Treasurer's Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper's tax.
- Steuben County Department of Health maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records
Steuben County Links
The following are links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relevant to Steuben County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a directory which has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own most liked Steuben County genealogy or family history related sites.
Steuben Co. IN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Steuben Co. IN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Steuben Co. IN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Steuben Co. IN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Steuben Co. IN Census Records
Steuben Co. IN Cemeteries & Graveyards
Steuben Co. IN Church & Bible Records
Steuben Co. IN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Steuben Co. IN General and History Websites
Steuben Co. IN Military Records
- Indiana Military Records (fold3.com) offers easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Indiana both women and men which served. Perfect for Steuben County genealogists, researchers, historians and much more.