Pike County, Indiana Facts
Pike County, Indiana family history and genealogy research page. Locate links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you track your own Pike Co., ancestors. Start now by building a Free Family Tree.
Pike County Facts
- Government Website: www.villageprofile.com
- Created Date / Origin: February 1, 1817 from Gibson County and Perry County
- County Seat: Petersburg
- Named After: Zebulon M. Pike, explorer of the American West
- Bordering Counties: Daviess County (northeast), Dubois County (east), Warrick County (south), Gibson County (west), Knox County (northwest)
- Cities, Towns & Communities: Petersburg, Spurgeon, Winslow
- Townships: Clay, Jefferson, Lockhart, Logan, Madison, Marion, Monroe, Patoka, Washington
Pike County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Pike County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Pike County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically overlook the importance of Pike County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Indiana courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the desires and frustrations of many Indiana inhabitants.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the Pike County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, consider all of the other methods which may have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
You need to speak to the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other facts in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. The majority of staff will assist people in obtaining the materials, but it is up to the person to do the research.
The below details shows what birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and legal records are typically in Pike County. The dates indicated listed below are the first widely known records for this particular county.
- Pike County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 801 E Main St, Petersburg 47567
- Pike County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court's permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses,
processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings. The County Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
- Phone: (812) 354-6025
- Marriage Records: 1817
- Probate Records: 1817
- Court Records: 1817
- Pike County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Phone: 219-465-3465
- Land Records: 1817
- Pike County Treasurer's Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper's tax.
- Pike County Department of Health maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records
Pike County Links
The following are links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relevant to Pike County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a directory which has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own most liked Pike County genealogy or family history related sites.
Pike Co. IN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Pike Co. IN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Pike Co. IN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Pike Co. IN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Pike Co. IN Census Records
Pike Co. IN Cemeteries & Graveyards
Pike Co. IN Church & Bible Records
Pike Co. IN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Pike Co. IN General and History Websites
Pike Co. IN Military Records
- Indiana Military Records (fold3.com) offers easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Indiana both women and men which served. Perfect for Pike County genealogists, researchers, historians and much more.