Noble County, Indiana Facts
Noble County, Indiana family history and genealogy research page. Locate links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you track your own Noble Co., ancestors. Start now by building a Free Family Tree.
Noble County Facts
- Government Website: nobleco.squarespace.com/
- Created Date / Origin: March 1, 1836 from Unorganized Land
- County Seat: Albion
- Named After: U.S. Senator James Noble or Governor of Indiana Noah Noble, brothers
- Bordering Counties: LaGrange County (north), Steuben County (northeast), DeKalb County (east), Allen County (southeast), Whitley County (south), Kosciusko County (southwest), Elkhart County (northwest)
- Cities, Towns & Communities: Albion, Avilla, Cromwell, Kendallville, Kimmell, LaOtto, Ligonier, Rome City, Wilmot, Wolf Lake, Bear Lake
- Townships: Albion, Allen, Elkhart, Green, Jefferson, Noble, Orange, Perry, Sparta, Swan, Washington, Wayne, York
Noble County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Noble County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Indiana State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Noble County Historian, Sarah Knopp, 208 E. Main St., Albion, IN 46701, Work Phone: (260) 856-2119, email@example.com
- Kendallville Historical Society (Mid-America Windmill Museum), P.O. Box 5048, Kendallville, IN 46755-5048; Phone: (260) 347-2334
- Ligonier Historical Society And Museum, 300 S. Main St., Ligonier, IN 46767-1812; Phone: (219) 894-7580
- Noble County Genealogical Society, 109 North York Street, Albion 46701
- Noble County Historical Society, P.O. Box 152, Albion, IN 46701-0152; Phone: (260) 636-3929
- Stone's Trace Historical Museum, 4946 N. State Road 5, Ligonier, IN 46767-9603; Phone: (260) 856-2871
- Noble County, Indiana Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Noble County
- Noble County, Indiana Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Noble County
- USGenWeb Archives for Noble County
Noble County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically overlook the importance of Noble County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Indiana courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the desires and frustrations of many Indiana inhabitants.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the Noble County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, consider all of the other methods which may have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
You need to speak to the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other facts in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. The majority of staff will assist people in obtaining the materials, but it is up to the person to do the research.
The below details shows what birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and legal records are typically in Noble County. The dates indicated listed below are the first widely known records for this particular county. Courthouse destroyed by Fire in 1843 and 1859, Most of clerk's records were lost. Saved: marriages from 1859, deeds and deed indexes from 1836.
- Noble County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 101 North Orange Street, Albion, Indiana 46701
- Noble County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court's permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses,
processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings. The County Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
- Phone: 260-636-2736
- Marriage Records: 1859
- Probate Records: 1854
- Court Records: ?
- Noble County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Phone: 260-636-2672
- Land Records: 1834
- Noble County Treasurer's Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper's tax.
- Noble County Department of Health maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records
Noble County Links
The following are links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relevant to Noble County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a directory which has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own most liked Noble County genealogy or family history related sites.
Noble Co. IN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Noble Co. IN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Noble Co. IN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Noble Co. IN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Noble Co. IN Census Records
Noble Co. IN Cemeteries & Graveyards
Noble Co. IN Church & Bible Records
Noble Co. IN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Noble Co. IN General and History Websites
- Noble County, Indiana Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- History of northeast Indiana : LaGrange, Steuben, Noble and DeKalb Counties (search.ancestry.com)
- Counties of Whitley and Noble, Indiana : historical and biographical (search.ancestry.com)
- Church histories, obituaries, and stories of early days, Noble County, Indiana (search.ancestry.com)
- Early Indiana History for Noble County (countyhistory.com)
- Map of Noble Co. Historical Markers (in.gov)
- Noble County, Indiana Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Noble Co. IN Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Noble County, Indiana (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Indiana - Counties - Noble (cyndislist.com)
- Noble County Indiana (genealogytrails.com)
- Noble Co. INGenweb (google.com)
- Noble County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Noble Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Noble Co. IN Military Records
- Indiana Military Records (fold3.com) offers easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Indiana both women and men which served. Perfect for Noble County genealogists, researchers, historians and much more.