Montgomery County, Indiana Facts
Montgomery County, Indiana family history and genealogy research page. Locate links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you track your own Montgomery Co., ancestors. Start now by building a Free Family Tree.
Montgomery County Facts
- Government Website: www.montgomeryco.net/
- Created Date / Origin: March 1, 1823 from Wabash New Purchase
- County Seat: Crawfordsville
- Named After: Gen. Richard Montgomery, hero of the American Revolutionary War
- Bordering Counties: Tippecanoe County (north), Clinton County (northeast), Boone County (east), Hendricks County (southeast), Putnam County (south), Parke County (southwest), Fountain County (west)
- Cities, Towns & Communities: Alamo, Crawfordsville, Darlington, Ladoga, Linden, New Market, New Richmond, New Ross, Waveland, Waynetown, Wingate
- Townships: Brown, Clark, Coal Creek, Franklin, Madison, Ripley, Scott, Sugar Creek, Union, Walnut, Wayne
Montgomery County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Montgomery County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Indiana State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Montgomery County Historian, Joann Spragg, 2205 S. 830 W., Waynetown, IN 47990-8177; Phone: (765) 866-0154
- Montgomery County Historical Society, P.O. Box 127, Crawfordsville, IN 47933-0127; Phone: (765) 362-3416
- Crawfordsville District Public Library - Local History & Genealogy, 205 S. Washington St., Crawfordsvlle, IN 47933-2445; Phone: (765) 362-2242
- Linden-Madison Township Historical Society, P.O. Box 154, Linden, IN 47955-0154; Phone: (765) 339-7245
- Montgomery County, Indiana Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Montgomery County
- Montgomery County, Indiana Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Montgomery County
- USGenWeb Archives for Montgomery County
Montgomery County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically overlook the importance of Montgomery County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Indiana courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the desires and frustrations of many Indiana inhabitants.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the Montgomery County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, consider all of the other methods which may have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
You need to speak to the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other facts in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. The majority of staff will assist people in obtaining the materials, but it is up to the person to do the research.
The below details shows what birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and legal records are typically in Montgomery County. The dates indicated listed below are the first widely known records for this particular county.
- Montgomery County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 100 East Main Street, Crawfordsville, IN 47933
- Montgomery County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court's permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses,
processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings. The County Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
- Phone: 765-364-6430
- Marriage Records: 1823
- Probate Records: 1822
- Court Records: ?
- Montgomery County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Phone: 765-364-6415
- Land Records: 1821
- Montgomery County Treasurer's Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper's tax.
- Montgomery County Department of Health maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records
Montgomery County Links
The following are links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relevant to Montgomery County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a directory which has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own most liked Montgomery County genealogy or family history related sites.
Montgomery Co. IN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Montgomery Co. IN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Montgomery Co. IN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Montgomery Co. IN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Montgomery Co. IN Census Records
Montgomery Co. IN Cemeteries & Graveyards
Montgomery Co. IN Church & Bible Records
Montgomery Co. IN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Montgomery Co. IN General and History Websites
- Montgomery County, Indiana Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- History of Montgomery County, Indiana : with personal sketches of representative citizens. (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Fountain County : together with historic notes on the Wabash Valley, gleaned from early authors, old maps and manusc (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Montgomery County : together with historic notes on the Wabash Valley, gleaned from early authors, old maps and manu (search.ancestry.com)
- Portrait and biographical record of Montgomery, Parke and Fountain Counties, Indiana : containing biographical sketches of prom (search.ancestry.com)
- Early days in a college town : and Wabash College in early days and now, with autobiographical reminiscences (search.ancestry.com)
- Early Indiana History for Montgomery County (countyhistory.com)
- Map of Montgomery Co. Historical Markers (in.gov)
- Montgomery County, Indiana Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Montgomery Co. IN Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Montgomery County, Indiana (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Indiana - Counties - Montgomery (cyndislist.com)
- Montgomery County Indiana (genealogytrails.com)
- Montgomery Co. INGenweb (ingenweb.org)
- Montgomery County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Montgomery Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Montgomery Co. IN Military Records
- Indiana Military Records (fold3.com) offers easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Indiana both women and men which served. Perfect for Montgomery County genealogists, researchers, historians and much more.
Montgomery Co. IN Schools & Directories