Howard County, Indiana Facts
Howard County, Indiana family history and genealogy research page. Locate links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you track your own Howard Co., ancestors. Start now by building a Free Family Tree.
Howard County Facts
- Government Website: www.co.howard.in.us/
- Created Date / Origin: May 1, 1844 from Unorganized Land (originally named Richardville County, renamed in 1844)
- County Seat: Kokomo
- Named After: Gen. Tilghman Howard, a U.S. Representative from Indiana
- Bordering Counties: Miami County (North), Grant County (East), Tipton County (South), Clinton County (Southwest), Carroll County (West), Cass County (Northwest)
- Cities, Towns & Communities: Kokomo, Greentown, Russiaville
- Townships: Center, Clay, Ervin, Harrison, Honey Creek, Howard, Jackson, Liberty, Monroe, Taylor, Union
Howard County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Howard County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Indiana State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Howard County Historian, John Morr, 3497 W. 300 N., Kokomo, IN 46901; Home Phone: (765) 461-5978
- Greentown Historical Society, P.O. Box 313, Greentown, IN 46936; Phone: (765) 628-3800
- Howard County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 176, Kokomo, IN 46903-0176
- Howard County Historical Society and Museum / Seiberling Mansion, 1218 W. Sycamore St., Kokomo, IN 46901-4386; Phone: (765) 452-4314
- Kokomo Howard County Public Library, 220 N. Union St., Kokomo, IN 46901-4614; Phone: (765) 457-3242
- Russiaville Historical Society, P.O. Box 221, Russiaville, IN 46979
- Howard County, Indiana Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Howard County
- Howard County, Indiana Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Howard County
- USGenWeb Archives for Howard County
Howard County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically overlook the importance of Howard County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Indiana courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the desires and frustrations of many Indiana inhabitants.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the Howard County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, consider all of the other methods which may have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
You need to speak to the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other facts in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. The majority of staff will assist people in obtaining the materials, but it is up to the person to do the research.
The below details shows what birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and legal records are typically in Howard County. The dates indicated listed below are the first widely known records for this particular county.
- Howard County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Howard County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court's permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses,
processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings. The County Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
- Address: 104 N. Buckeye St. Room 114. Kokomo IN 46901
- Phone: (765) 456-2204
- Marriage Records: 1844
- Probate Records: 1844
- Court Records: ?
- Howard County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Address: 220 N Main St, Room 330, Kokomo 46901
- Phone: 765-456-2210
- Land Records: 1846
- Howard County Treasurer's Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper's tax.
- Howard County Department of Health maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records
Howard County Links
The following are links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relevant to Howard County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a directory which has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own most liked Howard County genealogy or family history related sites.
Howard Co. IN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Howard Co. IN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Howard Co. IN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Howard Co. IN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Howard Co. IN Census Records
Howard Co. IN Cemeteries & Graveyards
Howard Co. IN Church & Bible Records
Howard Co. IN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Howard Co. IN General and History Websites
Howard Co. IN Military Records
- Indiana Military Records (fold3.com) offers easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Indiana both women and men which served. Perfect for Howard County genealogists, researchers, historians and much more.