Greene County, Indiana Facts
Greene County, Indiana family history and genealogy research page. Locate links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you track your own Greene Co., ancestors. Start now by building a Free Family Tree.
Greene County Facts
- Government Website: co.greene.in.us/info/
- Created Date / Origin: February 5, 1821 from Sullivan County and Unorganized Land
- County Seat: Bloomfield
- Named After: Gen. Nathanael Greene, hero of the American Revolutionary War
- Bordering Counties: Clay County (north), Owen County (north), Monroe County (east), Lawrence County (southeast), Martin County (south), Daviess County (south), Knox County (southwest), Sullivan County (west)
- Cities, Towns & Communities: Bloomfield, Jasonville, Linton, Lyons, Solsberry, Newberry, Switz City, Worthington
- Townships: Beech Creek, Cass, Center, Fairplay, Grant, Highland, Jackson, Jefferson, Richland, Smith, Stafford, Stockton, Taylor, Washington, Wright
Greene County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Greene County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Indiana State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Greene County Historian, Marsha A. Cline, 2825 S. Pleasant Grove Farms, Lyons, IN 47443-5009; Home Phone: (812) 659-2315
- Greene County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 164, Bloomfield, IN 47424-0164
- Greene County Historical Society, P.O. Box 301, Bloomfield, IN 47424-0301; Phone: (812) 384-8400
- Scotland Historical Society, P.O. Box 173, Scotland, IN 47457-0173
- Greene Resources
- Greene County, Indiana Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Greene County
- Greene County, Indiana Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Greene County
- USGenWeb Archives for Greene County
Greene County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically overlook the importance of Greene County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Indiana courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the desires and frustrations of many Indiana inhabitants.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the Greene County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, consider all of the other methods which may have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
You need to speak to the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other facts in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. The majority of staff will assist people in obtaining the materials, but it is up to the person to do the research.
The below details shows what birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and legal records are typically in Greene County. The dates indicated listed below are the first widely known records for this particular county.
- Greene County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: Courthouse
Bloomfield, IN 47424
- Greene County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court's permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses,
processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings. The County Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
- Phone: (812) 384-8532
- Marriage Records: 1821
- Probate Records: 1823
- Court Records: 1831
- Greene County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Phone: 812-384-2020
- Land Records: 1822
- Greene County Treasurer's Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper's tax.
- Greene County Department of Health maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records
Greene County Links
The following are links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relevant to Greene County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a directory which has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own most liked Greene County genealogy or family history related sites.
Greene Co. IN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Greene Co. IN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Greene Co. IN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Greene Co. IN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Greene Co. IN Census Records
Greene Co. IN Cemeteries & Graveyards
Greene Co. IN Church & Bible Records
Greene Co. IN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Greene Co. IN General and History Websites
Greene Co. IN Military Records
- Indiana Military Records (fold3.com) offers easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Indiana both women and men which served. Perfect for Greene County genealogists, researchers, historians and much more.